EWF RAM Reg Question

G

Hi,
I'm using a EWF RAM Reg in a HD; everything is working fine; I just have a
question regarding a behaviour I have noticed.
After FBA and Installing my application, data etc; I Enable the EWF RAM
Reg Partition then I generate a "Master clone" for clonning by using Ghost.
When I put this partition in a new HD at the first boot If I execute "ewfmgr
C:" it shows a message saying " Failed to get EWF infomation" or something
like that ( at this point I can even write something to the HD and remains at
the 2nd boot). But at the 2nd. boot the "ewfmgr C:" shows the EWF enabled
and all ewf data correct; Everything works ok!. I can use commitanddisable
and enable the ewf again.

Is it normal this behaivior?. Why the second boot is required? I really do
not mind. But maybe I'm doing something wrong and my Image is not properly
generated.

Thanks in advance

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi,

This is normal behaviour since your disk is enumerated and installed by PnP during the first boot.

If you delete file setupapi.log before the disk copy. And then you boot from original disk you will see that log is empty. If you do
this same thing on copied disk you will see that setupapi.log contain info about PnP detection and instalation of new disk and
volume driver instances.

Now efw driver is installed as upper class filter driver in regards to volumes. And it is not marked and configured as boot critical
so it is not loaded untill the next time when you boot system. It is just installed during the first boot that you do.

Regards,
Slobodan

G

Thanks a lot for your info.

Slobodan Brcin (eMVP) said:
Hi,

This is normal behaviour since your disk is enumerated and installed by PnP during the first boot.

If you delete file setupapi.log before the disk copy. And then you boot from original disk you will see that log is empty. If you do
this same thing on copied disk you will see that setupapi.log contain info about PnP detection and instalation of new disk and
volume driver instances.

Now efw driver is installed as upper class filter driver in regards to volumes. And it is not marked and configured as boot critical
so it is not loaded untill the next time when you boot system. It is just installed during the first boot that you do.

Regards,
Slobodan

Ask a Question