From: "Mark Winslow" <[email protected]>
Subject: Event viewer problems
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 06:26:23 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

I am having a problem with my event viewer on our Windows
2000 server. We are running SBS 2000. When I open Event
viewer, it does not display the events. At the top of
the screen it will say "1988" system events, but will not
display them. I am at my wits end trying to figure out
what the problem is. I need this fixed, so that I can
view potential problems I may have.
--

Mark,

It sounds like your event logs are corrupted. You need to go to %systemroot%\system32\config and rename the EVT files.

Are you running Service Pack 4? If so, you need to obtain the hotfix for the article below to prevent this from happening
again.

829246 - Event Logs Are Corrupted
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];829246

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.