Event Viewer Disk Error Event ID 52

G

This is the error that I found in my event log last week. It appeared in the log when the PC was idle. The PC is running fine, and had I not looked in the log, I wouldn't have found this. I did a Scandisk (8kbs bad sector) on my 80Gig drive and I Degragged. I do have a year left on my extended warranty, but it's bugging me that the hard drive is humming along just fine. Does anyone know how reliable these warnings are? I backed up but this is not a good time for me to be replacing my hard drive. Any suggestions/experience with this error

Event Type: Warnin
Event Source: Dis
Event Category: Non
Event ID: 5
Date: 4/23/200
Time: 11:22:38 P
User: N/
Computer: DEL
Description
The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
Data
0000: 0e 00 03 00 01 00 5e 00 ......^
0008: 00 00 00 00 34 00 04 80 ....4..Â
0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 11 2d 00 ......-
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .......
0028: 00 00 00 ...

G

Download a disk check utility from the hard drive manufactures webpage

If you not sure who manufactured the disk; Western Digital, Maxtor, have free disk check utilities that will work on all hard drive makes

G

Thanks, Eyman, for your response. I went through Dell's tech support. The tech had me run a diagnostic test similar to chkdsk. He insisted on the "quick" test, which ran twice with flying colors. When he hung up, assuring me all was well, I I ran the "extended" test and it found a bad sector and warned there was a disk problem. I'm under warranty (extended, thank God) so Dell will have to come here and replace the drive.

Thanks again

----- eyman wrote: ----

Download a disk check utility from the hard drive manufactures webpage

If you not sure who manufactured the disk; Western Digital, Maxtor, have free disk check utilities that will work on all hard drive makes

Ask a Question