Event ID 4

Hello Everyone

Windows XP pro updated in the domain 2003.

I am getting the following Event ID:

Source: Kerberos
Type: Error
EventID: 4
The kerberos client received a KBR_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server
[server name]. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos
service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this
is due to identically named machine account in the target realm [domain
name], and the client realm. Please contact your system administrator.

What is this and how to correct it please?

Many thanks

Best

Thanks Curt

To tell you the truth, I've seen this article prior to posting here. I
didn't find it helpful.

Many thanks.

Best

Curt Christianson said:
Hi Best,

This article *is not* for the faint of heart <g> :

Troubleshooting Kerberos Errors
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/tkerberr.mspx

--
HTH,
Curt

Windows Support Center
www.aumha.org
Practically Nerded,...
http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

Hello Everyone

Windows XP pro updated in the domain 2003.

I am getting the following Event ID:

Source: Kerberos
Type: Error
EventID: 4
The kerberos client received a KBR_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server
[server name]. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the
kerberos
service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly,
this
is due to identically named machine account in the target realm [domain
name], and the client realm. Please contact your system administrator.

What is this and how to correct it please?

Many thanks

Best

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Best,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, please first help us confirm if you have tried some
troubleshooting steps in the article Curt Christianson has mentioned. This
article has contained more troubleshooting steps. You may search it with
key words "KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED" in this article.

In addition, please confirm if the event error only occurs on this Windows
XP client. What about other clients and DC? Does the issue occur on this
user account?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Event ID 4
| Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:02:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Thanks Curt
|
| To tell you the truth, I've seen this article prior to posting here. I
| didn't find it helpful.
|
| Many thanks.
|
| Best
|
| "Curt Christianson" wrote:
|
| > Hi Best,
| >
| > This article *is not* for the faint of heart <g> :
| >
| > Troubleshooting Kerberos Errors

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/
security/tkerberr.mspx

| > --
| > HTH,
| > Curt
| >
| > Windows Support Center
| > www.aumha.org
| > Practically Nerded,...
| > http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

| > > Windows XP pro updated in the domain 2003.
| > >
| > > I am getting the following Event ID:
| > >
| > > Source: Kerberos
| > > Type: Error
| > > EventID: 4
| > > The kerberos client received a KBR_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the
server
| > > [server name]. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the
| > > kerberos
| > > service ticket is different than that on the target server.
Commonly,
| > > this
| > > is due to identically named machine account in the target realm
[domain
| > > name], and the client realm. Please contact your system
administrator.

| > > What is this and how to correct it please?
| > >
| > > Many thanks
| > >
| > > Best

Hi Ken

I removed the machine from the domain, renamed it and then rejoined it to
the domain.

It looks fine.

Regards

Best

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello Best,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, please first help us confirm if you have tried some
troubleshooting steps in the article Curt Christianson has mentioned. This
article has contained more troubleshooting steps. You may search it with
key words "KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED" in this article.

In addition, please confirm if the event error only occurs on this Windows
XP client. What about other clients and DC? Does the issue occur on this
user account?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Event ID 4
| Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:02:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Thanks Curt
|
| To tell you the truth, I've seen this article prior to posting here. I
| didn't find it helpful.
|
| Many thanks.
|
| Best
|
| "Curt Christianson" wrote:
|
| > Hi Best,
| >
| > This article *is not* for the faint of heart <g> :
| >
| > Troubleshooting Kerberos Errors

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/
security/tkerberr.mspx

| > --
| > HTH,
| > Curt
| >
| > Windows Support Center
| > www.aumha.org
| > Practically Nerded,...
| > http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

| > > Windows XP pro updated in the domain 2003.
| > >
| > > I am getting the following Event ID:
| > >
| > > Source: Kerberos
| > > Type: Error
| > > EventID: 4
| > > The kerberos client received a KBR_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the
server
| > > [server name]. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the
| > > kerberos
| > > service ticket is different than that on the target server.
Commonly,
| > > this
| > > is due to identically named machine account in the target realm
[domain
| > > name], and the client realm. Please contact your system
administrator.

| > > What is this and how to correct it please?
| > >
| > > Many thanks
| > >
| > > Best

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Best,

Thanks for your response and let us know you have resolved the issue by
removing and rejoining domain. I believe this information will benefit
other customers who will encounter this similar issue.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post here.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Event ID 4
| Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 01:18:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hi Ken
|
| I removed the machine from the domain, renamed it and then rejoined it to
| the domain.
|
| It looks fine.
|
| Regards
|
| Best
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello Best,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, please first help us confirm if you have tried some
| > troubleshooting steps in the article Curt Christianson has mentioned.
This
| > article has contained more troubleshooting steps. You may search it
with
| > key words "KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED" in this article.
| >
| > In addition, please confirm if the event error only occurs on this
Windows
| > XP client. What about other clients and DC? Does the issue occur on
this
| > user account?
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------