Event 2019 Non-paged Pool Memory Leak

Ryan Galvin

We have been having a huge problem with the server in our
office that is running our Voicemail software.

Basically, the services all run fine upon initial boot of
the server. Over time the processes and functionality of
our voicemail program slowly reduce until the service
either crashes and resets, or just stops responding
requiring a reboot of the server. Event 2019 pops up
during these problems, non-paged pool is empty. Symptoms
sound very similar to Knowledge Base Article 289209. Just
for the heck of it we even tried running regular chkdsks,
which did not work.

The Windows 2000 Advanced Server is completely up to date
in drivers and service packs and other updates.

What I would really like to know is, how can I single out
one specific exe, sys, or dll file that is causing this
memory leak? And if I can do that, how can I fix this? I
know there is a post SP-4 hotfix that is supposed to solve
a problem like this, but I would not like to attempt that
until I am positive it will work.

All help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hi Ryan,

Are you sure all the hardware is working fine. This
sounds like it could be a problem with the fan that I
have seen before. When the server is booted, the
components are cooled, but after time, they become too
hot and the server "hangs"

Do you have a spare server of the same spec that you
could swop some bits with.

Yes we do, we have a dev server right next to it. We have narrowed the problem down to be specific with the program running on it, not any hardware problems. Basically, this one service is causing a memory leak somewhere, but it is the most necessary and important service on the server. The server's only purpose is to run this one service, and it can't handle it for more than a day

----- (e-mail address removed) wrote: ----

Hi Ryan

Are you sure all the hardware is working fine. This
sounds like it could be a problem with the fan that I
have seen before. When the server is booted, the
components are cooled, but after time, they become too
hot and the server "hangs

Do you have a spare server of the same spec that you
could swop some bits with

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Ryan Galvin" <[email protected]>
Subject: Event 2019 Non-paged Pool Memory Leak
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:09:36 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server

--

Ryan,

I'm going to assume you have already searched the KB for Event and 2019 and seen the long list of possible causes for
this message. So, to answer your question about how to track it down further.

I would start by setting up Performance Monitor (Perfmon) to at the least capture All Counters and All Instances of the
Memory, Processes and Thread objects to a log file. Once we have confirmed which process it is actually leaking the
memory, assuming it is not a kernel mode process which Perfmon will not show, I would restart the Perfmon log. While that
is running I would also install the dubbing tools from the link below and use the utility Userdump to dump the leaking
process a few times, creating a different dump file each time, while the issue is happenig.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/ddk/debugging/default.mspx

For more information on using the Userdump utility see the following article.

241215 - How to Use the Userdump.exe Tool to Create a Dump File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241215

Once you have the Perfmon and dump files you could open a support incident to have the dumps and Perfmon log looked
at. If it is the third party service you are suspecting MS support may not be to much help since they will not have the
symbols for this programs code but they may be able to point you to a specific file. It might be better to profide the dump
data to the manufacture of the service to see if they can find out why it is leaking the memory.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Ryan Galvin

Thanks very much. Going to dig in a bit deeper and see
what we can come up with.