Win2k non paged pool troubles

Bryan

Windows 2000 server sp4. Under Performance, System
Monitor. The Pool non paged bytes is constantly climbing
through the roof until eventually the server locks up and
we have to hard boot the machine. Anyone with any ideas
on why this would be happening and how to stop it? We
check the process running and there's nothing out of the
ordinary going on that I can see. The following is logged
in the event viewer when this happens. "Event ID 2019 the
server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged
pool because the pool was empty"

Kevin [MSFT]

You might be able to get some clues to this by checking out Process/Private Bytes, Virtual Bytes, and Working Set and see if any of the
processes there are leaking memory. However, since this is NPP, it is likely that a driver on your system is leaking memory and being that it is a
driver, may not show anything in the perfmon. A memory dump would probably need to be looked at to determine what driver is doing this.
In the meantime, you can start by updating the drivers on your system to the latest as one of the h/w vendors may already have released a
fix for it. If that does not resolve it, you will need to get a case open with Microsoft support to troubleshoot further. Thank you.

This message is provided as is and does not imply any warranty or gaurantee of support of any kind.