Error with Run As

Lori

I am trying to install a program through a run as command
prompt. When a power user (non-administrator) is logged
onto a computer set up on the domain, and an
administrator performs a "run as" to a maped drive, an
error message occurs. The error falsely states that the
file or file name does not exist. The administrator does
have permission to install the program from the mapped
drive as well as the mapped drive. This problem only
pertains to XP machines while performing the run as and
only while using a mapped drive, the local c:\ allows the
run as command. My supervisor (who created the mapped
drive) is receiving the same error.

Carrie Garth

Lori said:
wrote in message I am trying to install a program through a run as command prompt. When a power
user (non-administrator) is logged onto a computer set up on the domain, and an
administrator performs a "run as" to a maped drive, an error message occurs. The
error falsely states that the file or file name does not exist. The administrator
does have permission to install the program from the mapped drive as well as the
mapped drive. This problem only pertains to XP machines while performing the run
as and only while using a mapped drive, the local c:\ allows the run as command. My
supervisor (who created the mapped drive) is receiving the same error.

Unlike Windows 2000, Windows XP strictly enforce the security context of mapped
drives from the Runas.exe tool. The resolution is to connect to the remote resource
directly by using the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path. For more information
see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

KB303308 - Cannot Use Runas.exe to Run Remote Programs on Mapped Drives
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;303308