Error: \Winnt\System32\Config\Systemced

Hi!
Anybody have ever seen this error:

Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing
or Corrupt: \Winnt\System32\Config\Systemced

on a W2k server?

It appears yesterday on a server, and I have a lot to do to repair the
problem. I found on

MS web site this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269075/en-us

and with it I restart the server. To avoid future problem, I've tried the
"purge

procedure", but it don't work very well.

My questions:
what is this file? \sytem32\config\system
why it grows day by day?
and why it is so critical and Microsoft give a so bad procedure to recovery
it????

Thanks in advance
Bye

Greg Page

The file is not really named systemced, it is the system hive, just file
name "system". the ced part is an artifact from the overwrite of whatever
was behind this. The issue is that your system hive has grown too large.

Follow these steps to resolve:
1. Install parallel installation
2. Use Regedt32 to load in the System hive from the affected installation.
3. Highlight the name of the hive and go to REGISTRY and select save key.
4. Check the size of this key to make sure that it is below 12mb.
5. Rename this key as SYSTEM and try to boot into the affected installation
with
this key.

You can also use the chkreg util from the reskit once you have the parallel
to shrink the system hive down.