Error while opening/creating a DB in MS access (Jet database engi.

G

When I try to create a new database or open an existing one in Access I get
the following error:

The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'Admin'. Make
sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly

T

Tom Wickerath

Hi Tex,

I just searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base, but I could not find any KB articles on this error message. This is rather surprising, given that a similar search for the exact phrase at groups.google.com, with *access* as the criteria for the textbox that reads "Return only messages from the newsgroup", returns lots of hits. The following link will probably break due to word wrap in the newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_...min'&safe=images&as_ugroup=*access*&lr=&hl=en

It appears as if the remedy is to create a new system.mdw file using the workgroup administrator. Your copy may be corrupt or missing. Alternatively, take a copy of the System.mdw file from a working installation of Access 2000 and replace your existing System.mdw file (if you have one). Make sure that your system is joined to this file. You can do this without opening a database. Open Access, then click on Tools > Security > Workgroup Administrator...

Good luck!

Tom

When I try to create a new database or open an existing one in Access I get
the following error:

The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'Admin'. Make
sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly

Ask a Question