Error number: 0x8DDD0007 Windows Automatic Update Download

I'm having trouble with my windows automatic updates program. To clarify:

I keep getting the message "updating your computer is almost complete. you
must restart your computer for the updates to take effect. do you want to
restart your computer now?" and no matter how many times I restart my
computer, I keep getting that message in my taskbar.

When I try to download updates through Windows Update web site, I get the
following error "[Error number: 0x8DDD0007] You need to restart your
computer to finish installing a program or updates. You cannot view or get
other updates from the site until you restart. "

....so that doesn't solve the problem either. Any suggestions? All help is
appreciated. Thanks!

Rock

Snowy said:
I'm having trouble with my windows automatic updates program. To clarify:

I keep getting the message "updating your computer is almost complete. you
must restart your computer for the updates to take effect. do you want to
restart your computer now?" and no matter how many times I restart my
computer, I keep getting that message in my taskbar.

When I try to download updates through Windows Update web site, I get the
following error "[Error number: 0x8DDD0007] You need to restart your
computer to finish installing a program or updates. You cannot view or get
other updates from the site until you restart. "

...so that doesn't solve the problem either. Any suggestions? All help is
appreciated. Thanks!

You might want to post your question to the experts in the Windows
Update newsgroup:

Gerry Cornell

Snowy

From Google

TaurArian
May 20 2005, 8:11 am show options

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate
From: "TaurArian" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 18:11:50 +1000
Subject: Re: Automatic Update box won't clear from desktop even after
restart.
Report Abuse

Are the updates actually installed?

reference:
http://www.talkaboutsoftware.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate...

Reboot required message is generated:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\­AutoUpdate\RebootRequired

If the key exists the message is generated by v5 update and it fails to
work further
causing [Error number: 0x8DDD0007].

The solution is to remove the key

so there would be only

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\­AutoUpdate

without the RebootRequired entry.

Note you can save the registry key first by:
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
Or create a system restore point prior to editing.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may
require you to
reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own
risk.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry