Error Message

JCO

Windows 2000 Professional.

Message:
Missing or Corrupted file C:\WINNT\system32\Config\SYSTEM

I know this file is one of several that make up the Registry (which is not
backed up). What options do I have when I get this message...
I can't boot in Normal or Safe Mode.

Dave Patrick

If the system hive is corrupt, and assuming you already tried LKG (F8 and
choose Last Known Good), It may be possible to rename the system hive found
in
%systemroot%\system32\config\system
to system.old
then rename
%systemroot%\system32\config\system.alt
%systemroot%\system32\config\system

You can also try using the most recent backup found in
%systemroot%\repair\regback

If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
original-as-installed system hive from
%systemroot%\repair\system
%systemroot%\system32\config\system
You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
original OS install.

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. At
the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000
installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
root, %windir% or %systemroot%

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Windows 2000 Professional.
|
| Message:
| Missing or Corrupted file C:\WINNT\system32\Config\SYSTEM
|
| I know this file is one of several that make up the Registry (which is not
| backed up). What options do I have when I get this message...
| I can't boot in Normal or Safe Mode.

JCO

That was the path I suggested ... the file renaming. The disk format is
NTFS, so I don't think he will be able to use a 98 Boot Disk (can't
remember). I have messed around with BartPE and will see if that works.
Otherwise, we have no way to boot it up. The Recovery Console, you
suggested should work too. I forgot about that.

The problem with what is in the repair folder is that he has never done a
backup.
The Hives stored their have to be as old as when the OS was installed. A
good lesson learned?

Dave Patrick said:
If the system hive is corrupt, and assuming you already tried LKG (F8 and
choose Last Known Good), It may be possible to rename the system hive found
in
%systemroot%\system32\config\system
to system.old
then rename
%systemroot%\system32\config\system.alt
%systemroot%\system32\config\system

You can also try using the most recent backup found in
%systemroot%\repair\regback

If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
original-as-installed system hive from
%systemroot%\repair\system
%systemroot%\system32\config\system
You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
original OS install.

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. At
the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000
installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
root, %windir% or %systemroot%

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Windows 2000 Professional.
|
| Message:
| Missing or Corrupted file C:\WINNT\system32\Config\SYSTEM
|
| I know this file is one of several that make up the Registry (which is not
| backed up). What options do I have when I get this message...
| I can't boot in Normal or Safe Mode.

JCO

In case I did no make it clear.
This is a friend's computer that I'm talking about.

Dave Patrick

:
| That was the path I suggested ... the file renaming.
* Don't know what this means.

The disk format is
| NTFS, so I don't think he will be able to use a 98 Boot Disk (can't
| remember).
* Correct

I have messed around with BartPE and will see if that works.
| Otherwise, we have no way to boot it up. The Recovery Console, you
| suggested should work too. I forgot about that.
* Yes, use the RC

| The problem with what is in the repair folder is that he has never done a
| backup.
| The Hives stored their have to be as old as when the OS was installed.
* Correct. Try .ALT, failing that use what's in the repair folder next.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Dave Patrick

The steps I outlined will work no matter who has ownership of the pc. :)

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| In case I did no make it clear.
| This is a friend's computer that I'm talking about.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi JCO,

Check following steps to recover registry hive:

1. Insert the Windows XP Setup CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and
then restart the computer. If you are prompted to do so, select any options
that are required to boot from the CD-ROM.
2. Press R to start Recovery Console.
3. Press C to repair from Recovery Console.
4. If your computer has more than one Microsoft Windows-based operating
installed, select the version of Windows that you need to repair.
5. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.
6. At the prompt, type cd system32\config , and then press ENTER.
7. Type ren system system.old , and then press ENTER.
8. Type systemroot , and then press ENTER.
9. Type cd repair , and then press ENTER.
10. Type copy system c:\ WinDir \System32\Config , and then press ENTER.
where WinDir is the folder where Windows is installed, usually either the
Winnt folder or the Windows folder. Upgrades from Microsoft Windows 95,
Microsoft Windows 98, and Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition retain the
Windows folder as the folder where Windows is installed.
11. Type exit , and then press ENTER. The computer restarts with the
recovered System hive.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

From: "JCO" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Subject: Re: Error Message
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 20:49:02 GMT