Error message, "Terminal Services Client Disconnected"

I am connecting from a Win 2k workstation to a Win 2k
server using Terminal Services client where the
workstation is located off site. In most instances I can
hook up to the server remotely and work normally, but then
there is this thing that happens...I get randomely
disconnected by the Terminal Server. I get the error
message reflected in the subject line shown above with the
notation of "The terminal server has ended the
connection". Why does this happen and what can I do, if
anything, to rectify this as it drives me absolutely nuts
having to continually re-logon every 2 to 5 minutes
(average time between disconnects). Is this a problem with
my DSL connection (I would think not as I had a friend in
an area some 25 miles away coonect to the same server via
Termial Services and he couldn't mantain a connection
either, also on a DSL connection on an XP Pro box) HELP!!!!

Doug

From: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Error message, "Terminal Services Client Disconnected"
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:37:34 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps

--

Doug,

Does anything get logged at the server in the Event logs when this disconnect happens? Is the server in Remote
Administration Mode or Application Mode? I take it from what you stated earlier this does not happen every time, correct?

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Does anything get logged at the server in the Event logs
when this disconnect happens? Is the server in Remote
Administration Mode or Application Mode? I take it from
what you stated earlier this does not happen every time,
correct?
Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

confers no rights. Use of included script samples are
subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all
newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

.
Yes, The following is the message that comes up in the
event viewer;

Registration of the DNS record 'CastleHill-Funding.com.
600 IN A 192.168.2.2' failed with the following error:
DNS server unable to interpret format.

As for part II of your question pertaining to , "Is the
server in Remote Administration Mode or Application Mode?"
I am not sure and even less sure on how to find out, can
you guide me on this please? As for the frequency of the
disconnect, it could happen within the first 10 seconds or
not for 10 to 15 minutes but it always occurs. It occurs
whether ot not there is any activity from my keyboard or
mouse etc.

I checked the link that you had provided in an earlier
reply that talked about a couple of registry hacks,
unfortunately the registry file that it talked about
doesn't exist in my registry. You had asked me to check
out the following URL,
http://terminal.servebeer.com/php/flaky_connections.php

I did take a look and found following passage;

"Section 2: Keep Alives:
In the registry at
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server,
create or edit the DWORD value of KeepAliveEnable and set
it to 1. This will turn Keep Alives on. This will serve to
stabilize the connection by sending 'heartbeat' packets to
the client every so often. This will cause an idle
connection to be probed every so often just to be sure
that the connection is still alive and that the client is
still listening on the other side. This will also help
prevent disconnects by preventing network devices from
killing off sockets that it assumes to be idle. Because
terminal services is such a low bandwidth protocol, when a
user is idle, no network activity will occur. Some network
devices will interpret a connection that is in the idle
state for an extended period of time to be a dead
connection, and thus will terminate the socket. However,
when the user comes out of the idle state, the terminal
services client can no longer contact the terminal server
because the socket is dead. By turning on Keep Alives, the
connection will not appear idle, and therefore the network
device will not attempt to terminate the socket."

I attempted to find the file that this passage describes
without luck, it just plain dosen't exist where it says it
should. Any other ideas on how to correct this problem???
Just so you know, I have been kicked out 5 times during
the writing of this current reply. Also, I had my
girlfriend in Louisiana enter using a terminal services
connection that I had set up onher machine diuring my last
visit (PIV 2.4ghz XP box) which worked flawlessly when I
was there over Christmas '03, and she got kicked off with
similar frequency...FYI.

Your continued help is much appreciated!

Doug

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:08:24 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps

[...]

For starters the link you refered to was not supplied by me but some additional information on the KeepAliveEnable value
can be found in the following article.

216783 - Unable to Completely Disconnect a Terminal Server Connection
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];216783

As for the error you are seeing in the Event log take a look at the following article.

259277 - Troubleshooting Netlogon Event 5774, 5775, and 5781
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];259277

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Matthew Harris [MVP]

If those entries don't exist in your registry, then create
them.

-M
I checked the link that you had provided in an earlier
reply that talked about a couple of registry hacks,
unfortunately the registry file that it talked about
doesn't exist in my registry. You had asked me to check
out the following URL,
http://terminal.servebeer.com/php/flaky_connections.php

I did take a look and found following passage;
<snip>