Error Message - Direct CD will cause Windows to become unstable

G

I tried to load a CD into my computer and got the above message, also adding that Windows has prevented these drivers from loading. My PC directed me to a roxio site for an update patch but couldnt find the patch. I was then directed to a Windows site which was supposed to help when getting the error message (sorry, dont have the number but the article was previously published under Q315345). However, it wanted me to uninstall Easy CD Creator (which was not installed on my Laptop) before changing system keys. This answer also mentioned Windows Media Player and Real Jukebox (both of which are on my computer) I thought the Real program may have been a download so have uninstalled it but am unsure what to do next. Following the Microsoft answer, I was told to do a search for cdr*.sys and to rename some system files. The search finds a file called cdrom in the system files but I am not sure if this is the correct file as it wants to know what system do I want to use to open the file? - sorry but I have no idea and do not want to play around in something I am not sure of if it could damage my computer. Can someone please help me?

M

Mark Jacobs

It sounds like you have remnants of an old easy cd creator installation, still on your system (perhaps direct
cd is loaded at startup). Is the CD a CD-R or CD-RW?

Try this :-
Start, Run, MSCONFIG
Then, go to the startup tab and uncheck items that are *NOT* to do with your mouse, graphics card, virus
protection, or firewall. Reboot the PC and try the CD again. HTH
--
Mark Jacobs
DK Computing
http://www.dkcomputing.co.uk
(e-mail address removed)

Pamd said:
I tried to load a CD into my computer and got the above message, also adding that Windows has prevented
these drivers from loading. My PC directed me to a roxio site for an update patch but couldnt find the patch.
I was then directed to a Windows site which was supposed to help when getting the error message (sorry, dont
have the number but the article was previously published under Q315345). However, it wanted me to uninstall
Easy CD Creator (which was not installed on my Laptop) before changing system keys. This answer also
mentioned Windows Media Player and Real Jukebox (both of which are on my computer) I thought the Real program
may have been a download so have uninstalled it but am unsure what to do next. Following the Microsoft
answer, I was told to do a search for cdr*.sys and to rename some system files. The search finds a file
called cdrom in the system files but I am not sure if this is the correct file as it wants to know what system
do I want to use to open the file? - sorry but I have no idea and do not want to play around in something I am
not sure of if it could damage my computer. Can someone please help me?

G

Dont know how I could have part of an old version of EZ CD Writer - this is reasonably new Laptop (only 3 months old). It has a CD Combo drive and Ive added programs etc using CDs with no problems (the CD I tried to load was one burned by a friend with info that I needed).

Refer your answer - How do I know what startup codes of the following are not to do with mouse, graphics etc - I recognised my cable connection, antivirus and a firewall but the rest is greek to me
igfxtray; hkcmd; PmProxy; 00THotkey; 000StTHK; Apoint; TouchED; TFNF5; TPWRTRAY; NDStray; DragDrop; Ltmoh; AGRSMMSG; qttask; MSMSGS; RAMASST

The DragDrop is to do with the CD Combo drive. I did see another answer from someone who had a similar problem to mine when I did a search and they were told to do a windows update and download an update patch to fix the problem, however all my updates have been done.

M

Mark Jacobs

You've done well so far. Of the list you supplied, I know these :-

MSMSGS is Outlook's messenger program so it's OK to leave this
Apoint sounds like your mouse driver, so leave this
qttask is quicktime's task accelerator - you don't need this but it isn't causing your problem

It worries me that you don't have systray.exe running - how much have you tailored this machine? You seem to
have 2 tray apps. This doesn't seem right. Also, RAMASST (memory assistant) is not necessary on an advanced OS
like XP. You can live without it, so...

In MSCONFIG, uncheck all the rest. Reboot. Does the Direct CD message come back? If not, you could try
isolating the culprit by checking each one and rebooting until the message comes back. The last one that you
checked will be the culprit. Good luck, and have lots of patience because of the mutiple reboots.

--
Mark Jacobs
DK Computing
http://www.dkcomputing.co.uk
(e-mail address removed)

Pamd said:
Dont know how I could have part of an old version of EZ CD Writer - this is reasonably new Laptop (only 3
months old). It has a CD Combo drive and Ive added programs etc using CDs with no problems (the CD I tried to
load was one burned by a friend with info that I needed).
Refer your answer - How do I know what startup codes of the following are not to do with mouse, graphics
etc - I recognised my cable connection, antivirus and a firewall but the rest is greek to me:
igfxtray; hkcmd; PmProxy; 00THotkey; 000StTHK; Apoint; TouchED; TFNF5; TPWRTRAY; NDStray; DragDrop; Ltmoh;
AGRSMMSG; qttask; MSMSGS; RAMASST
The DragDrop is to do with the CD Combo drive. I did see another answer from someone who had a similar
problem to mine when I did a search and they were told to do a windows update and download an update patch to
fix the problem, however all my updates have been done.

Ask a Question