Error installing Shockwave player

J

Joe

I have been trying to install Shockwave on my machine for days now, but I keep getting the Error
"You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this
installation from an administrators account"

WHY AM I GETTING THIS ERROR MESSAGE ?

I am logged on as the administrator and there are no other users on this computer. I have even
tried to install from the Administrator account in the Safe Mode. I have not had any problems
installing other programs, just this Shockwave player.I have tried to install online and from a
stand-alone download. Both give me the same error message. (Full and Slim) After getting the error
msg, I check the Add/Remove programs of the Control Panel and Macromedia Shockwave player is showing
up in the list, but it's not showing the size. It also shows up in the C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed
\Shockwave 10 folder, but it is not accessible...

Here's my setup:
Windows XP SP2 with all latest updates.
A small Home network using wireless networking. My computer is the "hub" and wife's computer is the
only other computer on the network. (utilizing Printer and File sharing)
I also have loaded Norton System Works 2005 (updated) and Norton Personal Firewall (updated).

Prior to the lastest updates from Microsoft around the middle of June I had no problems and I'm
thinking that they have done something to limit ActiveX controls from being installed, but I can't
figure out why I'm not being allowed to install from the administrators account. It's like the
system isn't recognizing the logged on administrator...

Any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks............Joe

Ask a Question