Error DHCP Windows 2008 R2, DHCP client is not a reserved client

Christoph Jandek

Hello,

I cannot add a reservation to a DHCP scope on windows server 2008 R2
Errormessage: The specified DHCP client is not a reserved client.

The DHCP server is authorized in AD and has no problems to offer and renew
leases.

With Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows Server 2008 (no R2) there is no
problem to reserve clients.

Does anybody know this problem and can help me?

Kind regards,
Christoph

Ace Fekay [MCT]

Christoph Jandek said:
Hello,

I cannot add a reservation to a DHCP scope on windows server 2008 R2
Errormessage: The specified DHCP client is not a reserved client.

The DHCP server is authorized in AD and has no problems to offer and renew
leases.

With Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows Server 2008 (no R2) there is no
problem to reserve clients.

Does anybody know this problem and can help me?

Kind regards,
Christoph

Is the Windows 2008 R2 DHCP server a DC?

Is there an EventID# associated with this error in Event viewer? If so, is
it EventID# 20018? If not, please let us know, as well as if there are other
eventID errors on the DCs.

According to the following, it may not be authorized or the DHCP server is
not joined to the domain.

Error Message:The specified DHCP client is not a reserved client.
Explanation: Stand-alone DHCP servers are not allowed to operate when Active
Directory is operating. ...

Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCTS Exchange, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Christoph Jandek

The Server running DHCP Server is a Windows Server 2008 R2 DC.
There are no EVents it EventID# 20018 in the LOGs.

DCIAG reports no error.

The DHCP DB was migrated from Windows 2003 using
"netsh dhcp server import c:\w2k3DHCPdb"

The Server is authorized in the AD and it is serving clients. Existing,
migrated reservations are working fine.

Christoph

Ace Fekay [MCT]

message
It is possible that the migration method, since it has not been officially
released yet, could be the issue.

One of the Microsoft engineers monitoring the Social forums link, did
mention it hasn't been release yet in the following link.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...n/thread/c3523239-28bf-419e-b266-98ed670b84e2

He did mention the following article Did you use the following article to do
the migration?

How to move a DHCP database from a computer that is running Windows NT
Server 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003 to a computer that is
running Windows Server 2003

As a test, if you were to create a new scope, does it still occur?

Ace

Christoph Jandek

Very good point - in a new scope, reservations can be added.

For the migration I used this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962355
How to move a DHCP database from a computer that is running Windows Server
2003 to Windows Server 2008

I'm in contact with MS Support. He mentioned to use the Windows
Server-Migrationtools for Windows Server 2008 R2.
I'll check this, though I have problems installing the tools on Windows 2003
R2 and the process seems not that simple.

Hope I can fix it without doing the migration again.

Christoph Jandek

Nach einigen Tests ist mir aufgefallen, dass Reservierungsversuche von IP
Adressen auserhalb des Scope Ranges aber innerhalb des Scope-Subnetzes zu
diesem Fehler führen.

Bis Windows 2008 ist es möglich IP Adressen innerhalb des Scope Subnetzes zu
reservieren, die außerhalb des konfigurierten Scope Ranges liegen.

Mit Windows 2008 R2 führt dies zu der bekannten Fehlermeldung:
The specified DHCP client is not a reserved client.

Dann werde ich eben meinen Scope erweitern und mit mehr exlusions arbeiten
müssen.

Anmerkung:
Die netsh Migration hat funktioniert.
Mit dem Server Migrations Tool ist die Migration auch sehr smart
- siehe
Video, Migrating DHCP using the Windows Server 2008 R2 Migration Tools
http://edge.technet.com/Media/Migrating-DHCP-using-the-Windows-Server-2008-R2-Migration-Tools/

DHCP Server Migration Guide
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379535(WS.10).aspx

Danke für euer Feedback

Christoph

Ace Fekay [MCT]

message
Sorry, I am not familiar with this language. Do you have a translation?

Ace

Ace Fekay [MCT]

Christoph Jandek said:
Very good point - in a new scope, reservations can be added.

For the migration I used this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962355
How to move a DHCP database from a computer that is running Windows Server
2003 to Windows Server 2008

I'm in contact with MS Support. He mentioned to use the Windows
Server-Migrationtools for Windows Server 2008 R2.
I'll check this, though I have problems installing the tools on Windows
2003
R2 and the process seems not that simple.

Hope I can fix it without doing the migration again.

I hope so, too! Let us know what PSS has to offer.

Ace

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Hello Ace Fekay [MCT],

I'll try to translate, i know this language:)

After some testing i realized, that this error happens if you try to reserve
ip addresses outside the scope range but inside the scope-subnet.

With Windows 2008 it is possible to reserve addresses in a scope that are
outside of the scope range.

This results in windows 2008 R2 in the error message: The specified DHCP
client is not a reserved client.

Then i have to extend my scope and have to work with more exlusions.

Remark:
Migration with netsh has worked.
With the server migration tool it is also smart
- check out

Video, Migrating DHCP using the Windows Server 2008 R2 Migration Tools
http://edge.technet.com/Media/Migrating-DHCP-using-the-Windows-Server-2008-R2-Migration-Tools/

DHCP Server Migration Guide
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379535(WS.10).aspx

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

Christoph Jandek

Sorry, I communicated with MS Support in German.

Than you for the translation Meinolf

Kind regards
Christoph

Meinolf Weber said:
[...]

in message
Sorry, I am not familiar with this language. Do you have a
translation?

Ace

Ace Fekay [MCT]

in message

Thank you for the translation!

So it appears the reservation was outside of the scope, if I understood the
report from PSS?

Ace

[...]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.
in message
Sorry, I am not familiar with this language. Do you have a
translation?

Ace

Christoph Jandek

The scope 10.1.0.0 has the mask: 255.255.0.0.
We splitted to scope-range as we have two DHCP servers.

Reservations are done on both servers.
So at one DHCP server the Reservations is outside the range but inside the
10.1.0.0 network.

Example:
Server 1 - Scope 10.1.0.0, Range 10.1.1.0 - 10.1.2.255
Server 2 - Scope 10.1.0.0, Range 10.1.3.0 - 10.1.4.255

We add Printerreservations to both server:
IP 10.1.1.5

So this address is outside the range on server 2.
This no longer works with the new installed Windows 2008 R2 Server.
It's no migration issue.

Christoph

Ace Fekay said:
[...]

Mit Windows 2008 R2 führt dies zu der bekannten Fehlermeldung: The

:

Very good point - in a new scope, reservations can be added.

For the migration I used this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962355
How to move a DHCP database from a computer that is running Windows
Server
2003 to Windows Server 2008
I'm in contact with MS Support. He mentioned to use the Windows
Server-Migrationtools for Windows Server 2008 R2.
I'll check this, though I have problems installing the tools on
Windows
2003
R2 and the process seems not that simple.
Hope I can fix it without doing the migration again.

:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverMigration

Christoph Jandek said:
The scope 10.1.0.0 has the mask: 255.255.0.0.
We splitted to scope-range as we have two DHCP servers.

Reservations are done on both servers.
So at one DHCP server the Reservations is outside the range but inside the
10.1.0.0 network.

Example:
Server 1 - Scope 10.1.0.0, Range 10.1.1.0 - 10.1.2.255
Server 2 - Scope 10.1.0.0, Range 10.1.3.0 - 10.1.4.255

We add Printerreservations to both server:
IP 10.1.1.5

So this address is outside the range on server 2.
This no longer works with the new installed Windows 2008 R2 Server.
It's no migration issue.

Christoph

I see. I didn't realize there was a split scope. Glad to hear it was
resolved, or at least explained as to what was going on.

Cheers!

Ace

Gerald Hutter

I have expirienced the same issue.

After the migration of DHCP to W2k8 R2 a reservation on a splitted scope
will not work.

Seem's to be a change in W2k8 R2. In W2k8 and W2k3 this works.

But I need this functionality also in R2, so I would be glad if Microsoft
will fix this issue.

Regards,
Gerald

Ace Fekay [MCT]

Gerald Hutter said:
I have expirienced the same issue.

After the migration of DHCP to W2k8 R2 a reservation on a splitted scope
will not work.

Seem's to be a change in W2k8 R2. In W2k8 and W2k3 this works.

But I need this functionality also in R2, so I would be glad if Microsoft
will fix this issue.

Regards,
Gerald

That I have no control over. Sorry.

Ace

Ben Lambert

I agree, this is something that definately needs to be fixed, ESPECIALLY
since it wasn't an issue in previous versions. It's nice to have a
work-around, but it's pretty darned ridiculous.

Just chiming in, hopefully someone from MS can add this to a to-do list.

Kurt Rinear

I totally second this. This is unbelievable! What happened to, "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it". For my company, using split scopes on multiple servers
with the 80/20 rule and segemtation of the subnet addresses for
infratsructure, printers, servers and clients, I HAVE to be able to set
reservations outside the scope on all my servers for that scope. This is a
real bone-headed move by Microsoft and I hope and pray they fix this and
return the functionality we had previously.

Lindy

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2005980

At the bottom it says reserved IP's can come from Excluded ranges. I have 2
DHCP servers and I split the DHCP across them. I put the same reservation on
both of them, or did with 2003, for printers. I cant now because of this.

So I am going to have to expand the range on both servers then create
exclusions on each for the others range, then I can create reservations.

Hey at least MS did not change the name of "DHCP" to confuse us more:)