This does not work. As I stated in my original post,
when I try to open the key, I get an error opening. If I
click and goto permissions, I get the popup window where
the options for the key should be but all I get is a
message stating "Unable to display security
information." Any other ideas?

Reaction score
if u still have the problem right click
security/permissions. click add - advanced - find now- everyone then ok and give full
control , the click advanced -got to the owner tab click "admin or user in white box "click replace owner on..... box click ok you will get an error message " access denied" click ok. at permissions box click apply and ok it should work

Reaction score
I too have the same problem, except when I try the solution you have suggested,I get a pop-up stating: Unable to save permission changes on run. Access is denied. PLz help. This is important!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, I have pretty much given up hope of anyone answering me. Does nobody know - or does nobody look at this post anymore?

Reaction score
I have had the same problem as you and just found a way around it, It was so anoying that I went up to the trouble to registrating to answer you:

You have to make:

right-clic --> permissions
in the permissions window --> click on the Advanced button
in the advanced security settings window clic on the owner tab
in the owner tab select your account name and then click on "Apply"
You are now the owner of the key and can now succesfully give yourself full control in the permission window

Reaction score
If it's giving you the error, then you won't be able to change the permissions on the RUN registry key. First restart your computer and you should be able to access that key. Immediately change the permission as stated by Tratrax and then you might also want to check the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892192

To verify if the problem still exists, open MS Excel and from the Help Menu select Detect and Repair, see if you get the same error.

good luck.

Reaction score
I had this problem as well.

The only way I found to get round it was to drive down into the registry keys until you find one you can't open.
rclick -> permissions and select advanced.
select owner and give administrator ownership making sure that the box for giving permissions to sub containers is NOT ticked.
then select permissions and give administrator full control, again ensure that these permissions don't propogate downwards.
usually this gave me permission on that key although occassionally I had to come out and go back in and repeat the steps, don't ask me why
once I had permission on that key I could go into the sub keys and repeat the steps, overall it was about 10 minutes work.

having gained permission over this I was able to delete the registry key.

hope this helps.

Reaction score
I am having this same problem however, I cannot make ANY changes in the permissions - I cannot grant permission to "users" or "everyone." I am trying to remove a key that must have been added by my camera (Kodak); Kodak told me I would need to call Toshiba and Toshiba told me this would be a microsoft issue --- seems this issue cannot be "fixed" by any of my possible resources. "Cannot delete VID_0000&PID_0000: Error while deleting key." I have even tried to restore my computer at an earlier time but this issue has been on-going for about two weeks and my restore points do not go past this "start" date. I am at a loss and honestly, I'm starting to wonder if Kodak is giving me the run-around - when they could just send me a cable - and my warranty probably ends soon! Any help would be greatly appreciated; solution would be ultimately appreciated lol. Thanks, Kerri
([email protected])

Reaction score
Kerri, when you say you can't make any changes to the permissions is that anywhere in the registry, or just on this one key?

Can you change the ownership of this key?

Reaction score
Fixed

Hi for all those who googled this,

"Cannot delete XYZ: Error while deleting key" This is what I got when I tried to delete a key

I tried to do what the above described but failed. I changed permission, owner too. It still cannot be deleted

With a technician's help, this problem is now fixed

I ask him why and how to fix it. Here is the reply:

"you have to set permission to each key and subkey (administrator and everyone)... after you have access to them."

Good luck

Reaction score
Thank you Vicious!! I have had trouble deleting an Adobe Acrobat key for a week before I found this post. It worked like a charm!

I signed up for an account here just to thank you!

--B

Vicious2783 said:
if u still have the problem right click
security/permissions. click add - advanced - find now- everyone then ok and give full
control , the click advanced -got to the owner tab click "admin or user in white box "click replace owner on..... box click ok you will get an error message " access denied" click ok. at permissions box click apply and ok it should work

Ask a Question