Access Error accessing file. Network Connection may have been lost

Reaction score
We run Windows XP SP 3, Office 2003 SP3 and i have a user who keeps getting the above error when trying to copy a chart or table from Excel into Powerpoint.
I have looked on the Microsoft website and can see this was an issue that was fixed in SP3 which obviously isnt the case, ive also noticed a lot of people saying about reducing the Macro Security levels to Low for both PPT and XL, i have done this and no luck.
I have given the user a new windows profile i have reinstalled office, i am running out of things to try.
Can someone please help?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
the next step I would take is to determine the link between the called file and the network location. verify that you can access the location where the file is stored. Next, verify if there are any permissions required to get there from the application.

Reaction score
permissions on the file are fine and the link between the file and the network is fine. Other users can carry out the task the user is doing fine and the user can do it ok on another PC. I am planning on giving the user a new PC but it would be good if i could work out what is causing this and a fix incase it happens again.

Reaction score
Ok i got another user to try and perform the same task on the PC and they also got the issue.
Iike i say i am giving the user a new PC but ideally id love to know how to fix this instead of just giving the user a new PC.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I cannot seem to find anything specific other than what was listed above. Things you can try would be updating Windows and remove and reinstall Office. It could be an update, or lack of one, that is causing the issue.

Past that point, format and reinstall (which you are essentially doing with PC replacement).

I still have reservations about the ability to maintain a connection to the resource from which you are pulling the files. Try copying them locally and modify. If you can accomplish this, then you have some sort of network failure once you open the file and the issue is most likely not specific to Office.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
The only thing I can come up with other than format is to uninstall office via add/remove and pulling any and every registry entry i can find relating to office out. Do that in Safe Mode.

You may be able to get away with just Excel and Power Point references since this is the only area you seem to have an issue.

Interestingly enough, another modified G-search brings me to this:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/error-microsoft-office-excel-cannot-access-file-filename-t3871670.html

Maybe it will help.

Ask a Question