Error 8007007E- Can't play videos or install codecs

Reaction score
Maybe somebody has had this problem before. I'm using Win XP Pro SP2, and just installed a new NVIDIA video card with the latest driver from the NVIDIA web site. Everything looked OK until I tried to play a video: no video files (.avi, .mpg, .wmv) will open in any media player or other software. In Windows Media Player I got an error no. 8007007E, and when I tried to install k-lite codecs thinking this might solve the problem, installation failed and I got the error message "Unable to register the DLL/OCX: DLL Register Server failed; code OX8007007E. The specified module could not be found." Another strange thing is that Google Earth works OK in open GLmode , but is extremely slow in DirectX mode (looks like a slide show). The NVIDIA driver must have screwed something up in Windows, but I can't figure out what. Any ideas for a fix?
Thanks!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you able to install Direct X 9c, or do you already have this? Its probably worth reinstalling DirectX and the nVidia drivers if you have't already.

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
looked around and found this

Error 8007007E or "Module not found" means something in the playback chain isn't fully installed. It is most likely not WMP, but something like a sound card driver. http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#isolate may help narrow it down a bit. Basically you are looking for what works and what doesn't, then you can find out what is not installed or what is broken.

There is not a single solution to this problem. Your answer will depend on what exactly doesn't work. DirectX, third party codec's, sound card drivers, video card drivers, and many other things can cause this.

you could try slightly older drivers 77.77 etc

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

Thanks very much for the replies. The video card manufacturer suggested a repair install, which really went badly. 10 files, mostly dlls, could not be loaded at setup - several of which I recognized as being used by WMP, Nero, etc. I'm just going to do a clean reinstall and see what happens. If I get a repeat of this after installing the nvidia driver, I'll take Pikakill's excellent advice and try to isolate the problem.

Ask a Question