From: "George Mathew" <[email protected]>
Sender: "George Mathew" <[email protected]>
Subject: error 733
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 06:29:01 -0700

TCP/IP CP reported error 733: Your computer and the remote
computer could not agree on PPP control protocols.
I got some solutions from Microsoft Technet, I tried those
options, still n ot working. Thanks in advance.
gogi

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Greg

I had this problem recently on my laptop, trying to connect to my
company using AT&T Global Network Client v5.0.9.2. Eventually i got
it to work.

I spent a LOT of time trying to get this to work wihtout reinstalling
Windows. Here are the steps i took to finally get it to work.

- uninstall Client for Microsoft Networks, reboot
- uninstall TCP/IP, reboot
- uninstall Zone Labs Integrity Desktop (my personal firewall), reboot
- uninstall AT&T dialer and reboot

(lots of rebooting :)

- re-applied Windows 2000 service pack 4 (which I don't think did
much)
- uninstalled the drivers for my Modem, NIC and wireless cards
- installed Client for MS networks, reboot
- installed TCPIP, reboot
- installed File and Printer Sharing, reboot
- at this point, i made sure I could get my NIC, wireless and modem to
work. They did.

- installed Zone Labs Integrity Client, rebooted, all devices still
worked
- finally, installed AT&T Dialer again (same version), rebooted.
- Finally, at long last, I was able to connect to my intranet, and no
longer got the dreaded "Your computer and the remote computer could
not agree on PPP control protocols."

Now, i think one step might not be needed: the reinstall of Service
Pack 4. I noticed after reapplying it, i still had all the latest
security patches, etc.

I tried to be very conservative, uninstalling one thing at a time and
rebooting. Before this, i had tried smaller steps, like just removing
TPCIP, rebooting and reinstalling.

Hope this helps, and what a friggin mess, right?

Regards,
Greg