Error 3218

Reaction score
I have a split db that has approx 15 users. Each morning, they access the same table to modify existing records (no adds allowed). Once in a while, they receive the 3218 error that eventually releases within about 15 minutes. The issue is that no person should ever be modifying the same record at the same time due to the filters on each PC, so I take it access is locking the entire table. I have the record locks set to "No Locks".

My question is: Should I change the locks to "Edited Records" even though no one is entering new records? I've read this is helpful when adding records, but nothing about only editing them. I've also read on the temp table, but seems too conveluted for this issue. Any other suggestions to keep this error from happening are welcome as well!

My background & db background, it's my first post!:
I've been to this forum for at least 2 years (probably longer), and I've always been able to find answers to my issues (via google searches). I had to register today to try to find other threads, but the seach does not allow "lock" or "3218". This is the 4th "real" db I've built, and all my "learning" has been through reading info on various forums. This particular db is used for reporting a call center's attendance with 135 employees as well as reporting other data, but the attendance is what causes the lock. 13 managers modify the attendance of their employees where the form filters the employees by manager and date so they can only view their own staff. They only modify the records because I use an update/append query to add the employee name and date to the table the month prior.

Ask a Question