Error 1606 installing software

Jim Wesley

I have a P3/1GB running WIN2K. I setup a User as a Local Administrator.
The PC is part of a WIN2K domain.

When I try to install some software I get a message that the
installation program can not access the users network directory. I was
able to install the software logged onto the workstation ONLY.

I checked MS Knowldgebase and the Registry entries are correct and in
agreement with other workstations on the network.

Any ideas?

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

The Error 1606 appears for various reasons and depends on the application
that you are trying to install.

Please provide the detailed error message and also let us know what is the
exact application that you are trying to install.

It is suggested to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. The details
can be found at:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Also please check if the issue matches the scenario mentioned in the below
article:

You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove
a Microsoft program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;886549

Hope the above information helps.

Thank you,

Rashmi

| Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:57:12 -0500
| From: Jim Wesley <[email protected]>
| Subject: Error 1606 installing software
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| I have a P3/1GB running WIN2K. I setup a User as a Local Administrator.
| The PC is part of a WIN2K domain.
|
| When I try to install some software I get a message that the
| installation program can not access the users network directory. I was
| able to install the software logged onto the workstation ONLY.
|
| I checked MS Knowldgebase and the Registry entries are correct and in
| agreement with other workstations on the network.
|
| Any ideas?

Jim Wesley

Originally I was trying to install PC Anywhere 10.5 and got the same
error I just received when I tried to install Windows Installer Cleanup

"Error 1606. Could not access network location \\<server name>\<user
name>\<user directory>"

If you like I will send you a copy of the actual error, but I am
unwilling to post it in the Newsgroup.

The installation of WICU failed.

Let move to Plan B.

Thanks.

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For
information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the
following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:

256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

I found that many of the times this error message was resolved after
performing these steps:

1. Open the Registry editor and remove the following registry key.
2. Removing the registry key
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders\Common Administrative Tools" resolved the problem.

Recommended Article:

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175

Hope it helps.

Thank you,

Rashmi

| Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:22:39 -0500
| From: Jim Wesley <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Error 1606 installing software
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| Originally I was trying to install PC Anywhere 10.5 and got the same
| error I just received when I tried to install Windows Installer Cleanup
|
| "Error 1606. Could not access network location \\<server name>\<user
| name>\<user directory>"
|
| If you like I will send you a copy of the actual error, but I am
| unwilling to post it in the Newsgroup.
|
| The installation of WICU failed.
|
| Let move to Plan B.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT] wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > Thank you for posting.
| >
| > The Error 1606 appears for various reasons and depends on the
application
| > that you are trying to install.
| >
| > Please provide the detailed error message and also let us know what is
the
| > exact application that you are trying to install.
| >
| > It is suggested to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. The
details
| > can be found at:
| >
| > Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
| >
| > Also please check if the issue matches the scenario mentioned in the
below
| > article:
| >
| > You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or
remove
| > a Microsoft program
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;886549
| >
| > Hope the above information helps.
| >
| > Thank you,
| >
| > Rashmi

rights.
| > --------------------
| > | Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:57:12 -0500
| > | From: Jim Wesley <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Error 1606 installing software
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | I have a P3/1GB running WIN2K. I setup a User as a Local
Administrator.
| > | The PC is part of a WIN2K domain.
| > |
| > | When I try to install some software I get a message that the
| > | installation program can not access the users network directory. I
was
| > | able to install the software logged onto the workstation ONLY.
| > |
| > | I checked MS Knowldgebase and the Registry entries are correct and in
| > | agreement with other workstations on the network.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?
| > |
| > |

Jim Wesley

Common Admin Tools key was not in the Registry.

I installed Windows Installer Version 3 and hopefully it will finally
resolve the problem.

Rashmi.K.Y said:
> [...]

| Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT] wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > Thank you for posting.
| >
| > The Error 1606 appears for various reasons and depends on the
application
| > that you are trying to install.
| >
| > Please provide the detailed error message and also let us know what is
the
| > exact application that you are trying to install.
| >
| > It is suggested to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. The
details
| > can be found at:
| >
| > Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
| >
| > Also please check if the issue matches the scenario mentioned in the
below
| > article:
| >
| > You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or

| > |
| > | I have a P3/1GB running WIN2K. I setup a User as a Local
Administrator.
| > | The PC is part of a WIN2K domain.
| > |
| > | When I try to install some software I get a message that the
| > | installation program can not access the users network directory. I
was
| > | able to install the software logged onto the workstation ONLY.
| > |
| > | I checked MS Knowldgebase and the Registry entries are correct and in
| > | agreement with other workstations on the network.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?
| > |
| > |

Jim Wesley

After installing WI 3 there was no change. I am still getting the Error
1606.

Any other suggestions.

Rashmi.K.Y said:
> [...]

application | > that you are trying to install.
what is the | > exact application that you are trying to install.
The details | > can be found at:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
install or remove | > a Microsoft program
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;886549
| > --------------------
| > | Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:57:12 -0500
| > | From: Jim Wesley <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Error 1606 installing software
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

| > phx.gbl
Administrator. | > | The PC is part of a WIN2K domain.
the | > | installation program can not access the users network
directory. I was | > | able to install the software logged onto the
workstation ONLY.
correct and in | > | agreement with other workstations on the network.
| > | | > | | > | |

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hello,

Please try the steps below and check if it resolves your issue.

IMPORTANT: These steps contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For
information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, visit the
following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:

256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Step1:

1. Enter into registry editor.
2. Browse to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

Choose the "Common Administrative Tools" in the right window and change the
value to "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools" (if
the item does not exists, please add the item)

3. Browse to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

Choose the "Common Administrative Tools" in the right window and change the
value to "%USERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools" (if the
item does not exists, please add the item)

4. Restart computer and check again. If the issue persists, go to step2 and
3.

Step2:

1. Create a new user account with the Administrative right on the computer.
Login with this new account. Check if you can install new programs
correctly or not. If not, try the following steps.
2. Enter into registry editor
3. Browse to the following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

Delete the "Common Administrative Tools" item in the right window.

4. Browse to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

Delete the "Common Administrative Tools" item in the right window.

5. Restart computer and login with this new user account to check the issue
again.

Please try the suggestions above and let me know how it goes.

Hope it helps.

Thank you,

Rashmi