Error 1402

G

Attempt to load Family History Viewer 4.0. Get Error 1402. Could not open
key:UNKNOWN\COMCTL.ListviewCtrl.1\CLSID. Went to registry to check
permissions, there were none. Added full control permissions for
administrator and user. No joy. After adding permissions, noted that the data
attribute for this parameter now reads Microsoft ListView Control, version
5.0 (SP2). Program will not let me read the data value. What can I do about
this key problem so I can complete Viewer installation.

M

Malke

cary said:
Attempt to load Family History Viewer 4.0. Get Error 1402. Could not
open key:UNKNOWN\COMCTL.ListviewCtrl.1\CLSID. Went to registry to
check permissions, there were none. Added full control permissions for
administrator and user. No joy. After adding permissions, noted that
the data attribute for this parameter now reads Microsoft ListView
Control, version 5.0 (SP2). Program will not let me read the data
value. What can I do about this key problem so I can complete Viewer
installation.

Check with the Family History Viewer tech support for issues with their
software. This may be a known issue, have a patch, workaround, etc.

Malke

D

David Candy

UNKNOWN\COMCTL.ListviewCtrl.1\CLSID

This key is wrong. The Unknown part is wrong. Also error 1402 is a windows installer error (if it is talking about registry keys).

The key you are looking at (HKCR\COMCTL.ListviewCtrl.1\CLSID) is not actually a key. It is a combined view of two branches of the registry (HKLM\Software\Classes and HKCU\Software\Classes) with user settings (HKCU) overriding machine setting (HKLM which will have most or all entries depending on software you've installed) where they are the same. So if that existed as a HKCU and you edit HKCR then HKCU will be edited else HKLM.

It's best to work on the physical level here so that you know what you are doing. If it is HKCU then only the user logged on can access that key, because it doesn't exist for any other user (permisions are irrelevent in this - the key is never loaded).

When office installer throws a similar message MS say it is a corrupted registry. The solutions are irrelevent on XP but makes me think this may be a per user install (as office is).

G

Malke said:
Check with the Family History Viewer tech support for issues with their
software. This may be a known issue, have a patch, workaround, etc.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Thanx, I had contacted them, they had no clue, indicating it was a Windows
problem.

G

David Candy said:
UNKNOWN\COMCTL.ListviewCtrl.1\CLSID

This key is wrong. The Unknown part is wrong. Also error 1402 is a windows installer error (if it is talking about registry keys).

The key you are looking at (HKCR\COMCTL.ListviewCtrl.1\CLSID) is not actually a key. It is a combined view of two branches of the registry (HKLM\Software\Classes and HKCU\Software\Classes) with user settings (HKCU) overriding machine setting (HKLM which will have most or all entries depending on software you've installed) where they are the same. So if that existed as a HKCU and you edit HKCR then HKCU will be edited else HKLM.

It's best to work on the physical level here so that you know what you are doing. If it is HKCU then only the user logged on can access that key, because it doesn't exist for any other user (permisions are irrelevent in this - the key is never loaded).

When office installer throws a similar message MS say it is a corrupted registry. The solutions are irrelevent on XP but makes me think this may be a per user install (as office is).

Thanx. The error message does say UNKNOWN. Anyway, How can I see HKLM and HKCU. And what should I do with these. Can I change anything. Or do I want to risk further problems if I do. The Viewer program I want to install is minor compared to getting my machine out of balance. I understand from your post that HKCU will overide HKLM.

D

David Candy

Ask technical support why.

Does this work (ie does absolutly nothing as opposed to error) when typed in Start Run
rundll32 user32,GetDesktopWindow

Ask a Question