Epson color ink - did I miss something

Dan S

I have 2 olde 740 color ink cartridges that show just about full, but they
won't work, at least not without a lot of headcleaning each time. Did I miss
earlier directions.. how do I do what can be done to get that ink moving?
How do I know for sure when to toss 'em?
thanks
dan

Al Bundy

I have 2 olde 740 color ink cartridges that show just about full, but they
won't work, at least not without a lot of headcleaning each time. Did I miss
earlier directions.. how do I do what can be done to get that ink moving?
How do I know for sure when to toss 'em?
thanks
dan

Sounds like they are about out of ink. At least the ink has dried up
over time. And don't waste money on new carts either.

Tony

Dan S said:
I have 2 olde 740 color ink cartridges that show just about full, but they
won't work, at least not without a lot of headcleaning each time. Did I miss
earlier directions.. how do I do what can be done to get that ink moving?
How do I know for sure when to toss 'em?
thanks
dan

The chances are the printhead is clogging.
E-mail Art Entlich

e-printerhelp
AT
mvps
DOT
org

Replace AT and DOT with the usual symbols.

Explain the problem and ask for a copy of his Epson printhead cleaning manual.
He will not charge or spam you.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Jan Alter

The clue to what you should do is that they are 'old'. When you say they are
just about full then it sounds is if they've been in the printer already.
The vehicle or liquid agent that carries the suspended ink starts to oxidize
and gets thicker making a head clog much more probable. Epson suggests
tossing any cartridge that's been opened or in a printer for over 6 months.
Even if the cartridge has not been used Epson gives it a shelf life of two
years. If you value not causing a very annoying head clog you would do best
to not incite the clog gods by using outdated ink.

Dan S

That's what i needed to hear. Thanks.
dan
From: "Jan Alter" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 23:13:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Epson color ink - did I miss something

--
Jan Alter
(e-mail address removed)

Arthur Entlich

1) Make sure you removed the usually yellow pull portions from the top
of the cartridge which opens the air bleeds.

2) Don't remove the whole label, as it will allow the ink to dry out

3) If they were left around after being installed once, and the removed
from the printer, the ink's solvents may have dried out. Unlike newer
Epson cartridges there have no valve to try to keep air out and ink in.

4) If the ink seems to be liquid but is too thick to flow, you can add
some isopropyl alcohol, (10-20%) and ammoniated window cleaner 80-90% in
a mix to the cartridge, add several eyedropper fulls. ALlow to stand
gently rock to mix with ink before use. The colors may not be exact as
you can't know what proper dilution levels are. Using the cleaning mix
to dilute the ink helps keep the heads cleaner.

Art