Entertainment laptop

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
My Son-in-Law and his dad want a new laptop each. They have P3 HPs at the moment and use them for music, photos and the net.
A local firm has quoted over £1000 each for Sony VAIOs but do they need this spec for general entertainment? I think they could get one each of something else for this price online.
Any advice most welcome.
Thanks in advance
peahouse05:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What sort of things do they want to do, just music, photos and net? If so you should be able to get both together for around £1000!

If they want to do gaming or have a 17" laptop screen then that will bump the price up though. If you find out what they want to do and that will help when coming up with a minimum spec :)

I'd recommend checking out this site that lists some good Dell deals, there are sometimes bargains in there (others not so much):

http://www.hotukdeals.com/?merchant...lter=All&status_filter=Active&order_by=Newest

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Ian
They just want music, photos and the net. I have seen the same Sony VAIO that they've been offered locally for 1000GBP at 599GBP at eBuyer. Have got nearly all my stuff from them with no problems - any failures they replace.
My only experience of laptops is my daughter's Toshiba A30-514 which now it's working again is very good - it does what they want, but is not available new. BTW they don't need Vista but does anything come with XP now?
I think the best you can recommend at approx 500GBP would do the job - have looked at Acer and latest Toshibas as well but have no idea about dual-core - have two PCs with Sempron which are ok for me - would consider this option.
Cheers
peahouse05:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to laptops at the moment, so someone else may know better than me. I thought this deal looks quite good:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/31048/dell-inspiron-6400-laptop-1-73-core

The graphics card is no good for gaming, but will be great at anything else.
  • Intel® Core 2 Duo T5300 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,2MB L2 cache)
  • Genuine Windows Vista Business - English
  • 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
  • 2048MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
  • 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
  • Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
  • Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
  • 6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr)
  • 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
  • Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card (for Core 2 Duo Processors)
  • Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English
£528 inc vat & del - you need to reduce the warranty to 1 year for this though.

Ask a Question