Access "Enter parameter value" popping up in Access form

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm working in Microsoft XP pro, Access 2002. I keep getting the enter parameter value pop-up when I try to open a form. I've checked previous questions on this issue, but their solutions haven't worked.

Background:
I have a new little database with one table, one subtable, one form and one subform. Every summer, we visit set stations where we collect certain data once (environmental data) and multiple GPS coordinates. After I'd created the table and entered all the environmental data to date, I created a second table to store the GPS data. So far, so good.

Then I made the mistake of setting a primary key called "RecordID" for the first table that was based on date and station. I related the two tables and created a form and subform for data entry. Once in the form, I tried to get the RecordID to automatically generate from year and station. But of course it wouldn't, cause then I would have to have a calculated field stored in a table, silly me. So, since I don't want to be entering the same data multiple times, I decided to use an autonumber as the primary key (now it's perfectly obvious to me why that's the recommended way to do it, after the fact of course).

I deleted the relationship between my two tables, deleted RecordID from both tables and from the form (it was never in the subform), and created a new primary key for the table, called EnvID. I added this field to the subtable and relinked the two tables with EnvID.

The problem:
The form and subform are based on the table and subtable, not queries. In fact, the database has no queries at all yet. When I open the table, I don't have any issues, when I open the subtable I don't have any issues, when I open the subform I don't have any issues. But when I open the form, I get that annoying little pop-up "Enter parameter value for RecordID" I have looked everywhere for where this could still be hanging around, and I haven't found it yet. I can hit cancel and get to the form, but it's annoying.

As a side note, I also deleted the field "year" as I didn't want to have to enter date, which includes the year, and then enter year again. I deleted it from both the table and the form and haven't had it pop-up with a parameter value request. Access only requests a value for RecordID.

Advice and/or ideas as to how I get rid of the pop-up? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
I've only seen that come up when there is still a field somewhere looking for a value from the prompted field. If you look at the form in design view, you may notice a green triangle in the corner of a text box that means that it has a record source it can't find.

Reaction score
No, I can't find the field anywhere. I even tried re-creating the form from scratch and I still get the pop-up

Reaction score
You could try entering some erroneous data in the prompt and see if that sheds any light. The way I always track this sort of thing is to keep digging backwards through the source until I find a reference to the missing field. Without having the database, I don't know if I can offer much more advice. Good luck!

Ask a Question