enter a directory selected in GUI from cmd

enter a directory from cmd

It is very convient to enter a directory in GUI, but it is not so in cmd
environment. Every time, we want to go to a directory , we always need to
start from the root. It is extremely painful when the directory has a deep
level and long name. Suppose I select a directory in GUI, Is there any easy
way for me to enter that directory in cmd?
In Linux, there is a function which will help us enter the filename.
Whenever we enter the first part, it will get the remaining part and help us
to complete it automatically. Is there similar function in winxp? Thank you.

Nepatsfan

"enter a directory from cmd" <enter a directory from
It is very convient to enter a directory in GUI, but it is not so in cmd
environment. Every time, we want to go to a directory , we always need to
start from the root. It is extremely painful when the directory has a deep
level and long name. Suppose I select a directory in GUI, Is there any easy
way for me to enter that directory in cmd?
In Linux, there is a function which will help us enter the filename.
Whenever we enter the first part, it will get the remaining part and help us
to complete it automatically. Is there similar function in winxp? Thank you.

You could install the Open Command Window Here PowerToy from Microsoft. Once
installed, you'll see an option when you right click on a folder to launch the
command prompt starting at that folder.

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Direct Download, Open Command Windows Here
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/CmdHerePowertoySetup.exe

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Klaus Jorgensen

enter said:
It is very convient to enter a directory in GUI, but it is not so in cmd
environment. Every time, we want to go to a directory , we always need to
start from the root. It is extremely painful when the directory has a deep
level and long name. Suppose I select a directory in GUI, Is there any easy
way for me to enter that directory in cmd?
In Linux, there is a function which will help us enter the filename.
Whenever we enter the first part, it will get the remaining part and help us
to complete it automatically. Is there similar function in winxp? Thank you.

With this little tool you can right-click on a folder in the explorer
and click "Open Command Window Here" to get to that folder.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/CmdHerePowertoySetup.exe

Another option is to simply drag a folder from an explorer window to
the cmd window, so just type "cd " in a cmd window, drag a folder to
the window and press Enter. Use "cd /d " if the path entered is on
another drive than the default.

/klaus