Energy Saving Calculator

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
With all of the energy saving stuff in the news at the moment, I thought it would be interesting to make a site on how much energy can be saved by using energy (and money!) saving lightbulbs.

It only gives a very basic overview of what you can expect, but it is a good guide for those using ordinary light bulbs at the moment:

http://www.energysavingscalculator.com/

We switched over to energy saving bulbs when we moved into the flat and it does seem to have made a moderate difference to our bills. :thumb: Only the living room has a dimmer switch and it took me 2 bulbs to figure out that they don't work in dimmer switch sockets :wall:

Reaction score
Australia dont sell conventional lightbulbs now, they only sell the energy saving ones.

An ideal example to follow...

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
Australia dont sell conventional lightbulbs now, they only sell the energy saving ones.

An ideal example to follow...

the EU are actually bringing the same thing into force, you wont be able to buy regular light bulbs in 2 or 3 years, cant remember what my dad said now :blush:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Some of our members can't read ... or did I read it wrong ?

I thought it would be interesting to make a site ...
Nice one Ian :thumb:

However, it has some faults ... :p

You are currently using around 0W per day to light your home, when you could be using only 0W by switching to equivalent energy saving light bulbs.

This saves you around £0 per year
... not being funny, but I have NO conventional light bulbs ... and I think the "brightest" one is 11W ;)

But ...

You could be wasting as much as 602W each day while your appliances are on standby. Simply turning devices off at the plug could save you a small fortune over time.

You could save £21.97 per year.

Our Calculations:

3 x Computer = 480W per day on standby
1 x Microwave = 62W per day on standby
1 x Phone Charger = 60W per day on standby
Now the thing is ... the PCs are NOT on "standby" they are in fact on 24/7 ... how much will I save if I do actually switch them off ? :thumb:

Not nitpicking Boss ... great idea, needs a link to PCR.
nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You're just ahead of the game Mucks if you already have energy saving bulbs ;) It's mainly for "joe bloggs" that hasn't switched over to energy saving bulbs (or has a pc on 24/7 like us :lol: )

I should really add in some error checking for people with 0W savings though :thumb: Next on my to-do list :nod:

Ask a Question