End of the line for Floppy Disks?

Reaction score
From the article referred to by Ian...

''It was the first machine that had all the components now classically regarded as characteristic of the basic computer.''

...does that mean it had a floppy disk?

OK, so that's a feeble attempt at bringing the discussion back to the subject of floppies...So when do you think we'll see the end of them? 6months, 12...or later?

Muckshifter...why not invest in a few quid's worth of USB flash drive, copy the essential bootfiles onto it and see if your happy to dump all those Starships-in-waiting?;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
1nteger

I'll let you know how I get along with the Freecom FM-10 USB-2.0 Stick ... due in next week. :brow:

Reaction score
I don't think it'll be replaced just yet, mostly because everyone uses floppies for transferring a single small file from computer to computer, as they don't want to waste a CD just for a file (and most people don't buy CD-RWs for some reason).

However, I do believe that Mount Rainier will be the technology that will replace it. Packet writing on CD-RWs is definetly the way to go. There's actually an article on this in this month's CPU magazine, but I don't imagine you guys get that in the UK, do you?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I use ten CD-RW's for different types of files and data which I ferry back and forth from home to office. I use the 48/24/48x Plextor external which is very handy for all this. I can connect it to my laptop as well as desktop (both have the software installed). With InCD from Nero I just use the disk as a floppy.

As I said it earlier in my post the floppy is really not for my use but is there for catering to other's not fortunate enough to be using the newer format and hardware.

Reaction score
...but surely a USB flash drive, that fits in the pocket, requires no drivers for any OS that's not Win98(SE) or earlier, that's bootable (as long as ur mobo detects it) and can hold 128Mb for around £30 (based on current prices at Scan in the UK), and allows for faster and fuss-free data transfer, meets all the purposes that have been outlined in this thread?

I have used floppies maybe half a dozen times in the last year...and never for any purpose that could not heve been handled by a pen-drive. Given their rapid price reduction relative to capacity, and the hassle of formatting cd's for direct writing...I will definitely be getting one of these cool gizmos soon...come on guys!! Turn those floppies into starships and get with the program! The future is now! LOL.:D :D :D :D :D

Reaction score
I don't think something like InCD is mature enough yet for everyone to start using it. Once Mount Rainier is integrated into Windows, however, that'll be when people start adopting CD-RWs.

Reaction score
flippin floppy

I have to agree with interger,as i use my floppy for same reason.
when I put my new build together this was a consideration which i opted for. the day will come when floppy's will cease and perhaps that day is not to far away.

Reaction score
Re: 1nteger

Originally posted by muckshifter
I'll let you know how I get along with the Freecom FM-10 USB-2.0 Stick ... due in next week. :brow:

You got this yet, Mucks? Any good?

Reaction score
Decline of floppies

To be honest I hadn't used a floppy for about 2 years and when I built a new machine I didn't bother adding one.
Everything was fine until I thought I'd be smart and install Linux (just to play around with) on my spare Hard Disk.
In theory the CD rom was bootable, but it didn't...so I was going to have to create a set of bootable floppies just to get the thing installed.
Needless to say had to fit the floppy drive -and it will be staying!
The fun part was trying to root around in the loft for floppy disks:D

Ask a Question