Encryption

Steve

My brother is off to a 3rd world country for a while. Bearing in mind the cyber-crime in the country, we decided encryption of email is a security essentail. Both he and I obtained digital certificates from Comodo and followed Comodo's emails to install the certificates.

When I try to send an encrypted, signed message, the following error is received:

"Microsoft Office Outlook had problems encrypting this message because the following recipient had a missing or invalid certificates. Or conflicting or unsupported encryption capabilities ... Email address .... Continue will encrypt and send the message but the listed recipients may not be able to read it."

The [continue] button is not available, so we can't forge on and see if we can decrypt in any case.

Tried manually setting security setting instead of using automatic settings but when I press end, the symptom still seems to be long wait while Outlook checks with Comodo then same problem.

Can someone point me in the right direction to either fix or get around the problem?

Vijay

Send a mail to urself and check if you have the same problem, if yes remove the certificate and re-add it.

--
Vijay
Sites that I would recommend

"Steve" <No Spam> wrote in message My brother is off to a 3rd world country for a while. Bearing in mind the cyber-crime in the country, we decided encryption of email is a security essentail. Both he and I obtained digital certificates from Comodo and followed Comodo's emails to install the certificates.

When I try to send an encrypted, signed message, the following error is received:

"Microsoft Office Outlook had problems encrypting this message because the following recipient had a missing or invalid certificates. Or conflicting or unsupported encryption capabilities ... Email address .... Continue will encrypt and send the message but the listed recipients may not be able to read it."

The [continue] button is not available, so we can't forge on and see if we can decrypt in any case.

Tried manually setting security setting instead of using automatic settings but when I press end, the symptom still seems to be long wait while Outlook checks with Comodo then same problem.

Can someone point me in the right direction to either fix or get around the problem?

Steve

Vijay

Thank you. Your method proved that I had a problem with my certificate. I was unable to send a message to myself. The next step was the killer. Followed help to remove the certificate and re-import - Outlook objected strongly and became sulky - refused to import the certificate; refused to allow me to compose a new message. "Darn you", I thought, "I'll wind the system back using system restore, Let's fix the whole shebang in one go by going back beyond IE7".

Still in the middle of installing critical updates (sans IE7) after System Restore I received an encrypted message from my brother. Outlook asks for access to my certificate as it opens ... and again ... and again. Message opens and I can read it. If anyone can explain how system restore back to a point before I had a certificate can fix a certificate problem ...

Still need to get my system back in shape before testing sending encrypted messages but, a digitally signed message went without problem and there is a strong feeling around that all will work AOK.

Steve
[...]

If there's a problem with certificate, then remove certificate and check if your able to send a mail to yourself, about certificate get in touch with comodo Email support or you can try recreating a certificate.
you haven't posted anthing about the error message so I'm not quite sure whats happening
--

"Steve" <No Spam> wrote in message Vijay

[...]

The Certificate seems OK. I can send and received signed messages. However, encryption is not working. The error message was posted earlier (see below). I now believe the problem relates to getting hold of my brother's .cer file. A full search of my HDDs failed to locate any *.cer files. When I click on the certificate icon in a message from him, the result is a [Digital Signature Valid] window with a certificate signed by my email address.

An unusual side-effect (I think) is that when I sent him one encrypted message, it appeared in my inbox with his address as sender. This happened once only.

Next step is to work thoroughly through the sites you sent.

Thank you.

Steve
(Stumbling along)

<snip>
you haven't posted anthing about the error message so I'm not quite sure whats happening

Brian Tillman

Steve said:
The Certificate seems OK. I can send and received signed messages.
However, encryption is not working. The error message was posted
earlier (see below). I now believe the problem relates to getting
hold of my brother's .cer file. A full search of my HDDs failed to
locate any *.cer files. When I click on the certificate icon in a
message from him, the result is a [Digital Signature Valid] window
with a certificate signed by my email address.

With public key encryption, you must first exchange signed messages with
your correspondent. You add the correspondent to your Contacts and he does
the same with you. You now each have the other's public key and can then
send an encrypted message using the other's public key, which only they can
decrypt because only they possess the private key that will do so.

If you see the other's message as being signed by you, then that person has
loaded your cert as his own. Not good.

Steve

Brian said:
Steve said:
[...]

Brian

Thank you. We managed to sort it out yesterday. Simple in the end delete
each other out of contact list and adding again.

Brian Tillman

Albert Toia said:
I think we have lost track of the original issue which is:

"Microsoft Office Outlook had problems encrypting this message
because the following recipient had a missing or invalid
certificates. Or conflicting or unsupported encryption capabilities
... Email address .... Continue will encrypt and send the message
but the listed recipients may not be able to read it."

No, you've lost track of the fact that Steve said he sorted it out.

Brian Tillman

Albert Toia said:
I posed the same question, not as a response to Steve, but as a
general response to possibly pull a response to the original question.

But you posted it in someone else's thread.