encryption with listservs

Phil Sego

I need to set up a small list with about 10-20 users that has some
encryption. Some of the problems (among the many) are (a.) this needs to be
somewhat transparent, like a simple icon click in the outlook toolbar or
automatic with a specified entry in the address book (b.) simple
installation.

Ideas? Any off-the-shelf stuff? I couldn't find any.

-- p

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In
Phil Sego said:
I need to set up a small list with about 10-20 users that has some
encryption. Some of the problems (among the many) are (a.) this needs
to be somewhat transparent, like a simple icon click in the outlook
toolbar or automatic with a specified entry in the address book (b.)
simple installation.

Ideas? Any off-the-shelf stuff? I couldn't find any.

-- p

What kind of encryption are you talking about here?
Do you run your own mail server in house?

Phil Sego

What kind of encryption are you talking about here?

PGP or Blowfish or something like it would be overkill but would be fine.
Anything 256-bit+ would be fine.
Do you run your own mail server in house?

I will run the listserv software (or more likely smartlist) on a linux
server. Each user will use his/her current pop account with their local isp.

-- p

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

What does this have to do with Outlook? Have you searched using your
preferred search engine? There are hundreds of hits using Listserv +
encryption.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Phil Sego asked:

| I need to set up a small list with about 10-20 users that has some
| encryption. Some of the problems (among the many) are (a.) this needs
| to be somewhat transparent, like a simple icon click in the outlook
| toolbar or automatic with a specified entry in the address book (b.)
| simple installation.
|
| Ideas? Any off-the-shelf stuff? I couldn't find any.
|
| -- p

Phil Sego

Milly Staples said:
What does this have to do with Outlook?

Umm... was this not clear?
"... like a simple icon click in the outlook toolbar or ..."

I can be clearer. I want it to seamlessly integrate with Outlook. I want it
to be an Outlook add-in. I want to use Outlook's encrypt button -- without
the public key/private key exclusion 'know thy recipient' that would screw
up posting to *a* listserv (not nec l-soft's).
Have you searched using your
preferred search engine?

Doesn't everybody?
There are hundreds of hits using Listserv +
encryption.

Actually only a couple of dozen *products* that are either server side
(useless) or definitely not seamless. All have huge shortcomings, and thanks
to their somewhat vague sales ads, I've had to install and uninstall about 8
of them. I was thinking that someone would have somewhat better advice than
to use Google.

-- p

What does this have to do with Outlook? Have you searched using your
preferred search engine? There are hundreds of hits using Listserv +
encryption.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Phil Sego asked:

| I need to set up a small list with about 10-20 users that has some
| encryption. Some of the problems (among the many) are (a.) this needs
| to be somewhat transparent, like a simple icon click in the outlook
| toolbar or automatic with a specified entry in the address book (b.)
| simple installation.
|
| Ideas? Any off-the-shelf stuff? I couldn't find any.
|
| -- p

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Um, Outlook integration is the solution the ListServ application needs to
provide, not Outlook - therefore, the question as to what a ListServ product
has to do with Outlook.

Check for the solution via the listserv options - Outlook will integrate
with what THEY provide the integration option, not the other way around.
You are asking the wrong question - you need to be asking this of the
different ListServ providers, not Outlook.

| I was thinking that someone would have
| somewhat better advice than to use Google.

If google.com is your favorite, then good on ya. I never suggested using
google.com.