Email Worm Experiment ... sign-up now!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
TaffyCat's post on her adventure with the Stration Worm, which there are several variants, got me thinking ... its OK, I've had me pills.

The Worm primarily commandeers your address book and attempts to send out an infected mail to all insundry from your book.

If, as in some cases as has happened, you are unfortunate enough to have an AV program that is err, not geared up to combating Trojans, then I may have a simple solution.

Apart from changing your AV program to something that is better I would like to try this experiment.

I have set-up a "throw away" email address ... (e-mail address removed) ... simply add that address to your address book, send one email to that address and use "worm test" as the subject. Simple! no?

I have no qualms in posting that email address as I shall be monitoring it from Linux anyway. ;)

I hope Google don't mind. :D

It will also be interesting to see how much 'spam' gets delivered now I have posted the address.

If it gets overburdened I have another 348 email addresses I could use. :D

Simply reply to this thread ... Email Sent ... and I'll keep you all posted.

user.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
I don't understand!

What's it supposed to do by sending the worm test e-mail?
It lets me see who has 'signed up' if you don't feel like posting here.

This is open to all who read this post ... nonmembers also.

No obligation to do so, just trying out an experiment ... I'm also trying to figure out how it will fail. ;)

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Oh, I see, when someone adds the e-mail address to their address book, you will get sent an e-mail by the trojan, if that person is infected?

But it won't harm you because you're on Linux!

And you only want people to send an e-mail manually to confirm how many people are taking part?

I am slow today :D:blush:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Oh, I see, when someone adds the e-mail address to their address book, you will get sent an e-mail by the Trojan, if that person is infected?

But it won't harm you because you're on Linux!

And you only want people to send an e-mail manually to confirm how many people are taking part?

I am slow today :D:blush:
Actually, you put better than I did.

:thumb:

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Just a quick question (I was wondering):

Would the trojan be able to 'see' your address book if you were using a web-based e-mail such as Hotmail? Or can it only see your address book if you're using Outlook/Thunderbird programs?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Just a quick question (I was wondering):

Would the trojan be able to 'see' your address book if you were using a web-based e-mail such as Hotmail? Or can it only see your address book if you're using Outlook/Thunderbird programs?
They are, by design, enabled to use your address book from Outlook & OE ... and maybe even Thunderbird ... to eliminate that risk that they may be able to use the one on Google, I won't have one ... there will be no emails addresses stored there, or anywhere for that matter.

Good question. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
hey, nice response so far ...

I won't reply to your emails, for obvious reasons, but keep 'em coming folks. :thumb:

I just want to reiterate that any email address you send me will not be used for any other purpose than to keep a check whether or not I get a nastie sent from them ... if I do, I do hope not, but If I do I'll inform you via a PM here on the forums.

user.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
E-mail sent (thought I'd better test this one, too) Thank you Mucks :D

Ask a Question