Email Certificate Problem

A

arico

I have installed a certificate for my email in WM, but recently I cannot send a digitally signed email, it gives me an error. I can send unsigned emails, my email certificate exp. in 2010. How can I correct this error? Am not facing such problems with other emails just one.

S

Sam Hobbs

Whenever you use the word "error" it is nearly always necessary to be more
specific than just the word. In fact, you need to provide the complete and
accurate error message, except modify any email addresses in the error
message so as to not provide the part before the @.

I have installed a certificate for my email in WM, but recently I cannot
send a digitally signed email, it gives me an error. I can send unsigned
emails, my email certificate exp. in 2010. How can I correct this error? Am
not facing such problems with other emails just one.

S

slk759

Hit the "Cancel" button on that email message - this should give a more
detailed error message - that's the one we need to figure out the issue.

S

Sam Hobbs

Then it is not a message from Windows Mail. You need to determine what
program is issuing the message and get help from them. If it is an error
message from Windows Mail, then there is a more useful message available in
the manner previously described.

the small popup message box has just one button and that's "OK"

A

arico

Hi I did after all find how to solve this problem, reinstall the certificate, first to revoke it and then apply for a new one, with the help of customer service though.

So what had happened? Well I had some time back exported the certificate and later again imported it, during this transition I did not import the private key that’s because I did not export it. I found this out when I checked the Certificate Manager ->Personal->Certificates. When one sees the icon of email certificates one would find two key's a big one and a small one, now the email certificate in question did not have the big key on the icon, after reinstalling the new certificate the icon has the big key and now I can send digitally signed emails as well as encrypted it.

Any ways thanks' to all who tried to help in the best possible way,

arico.

G

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Thanks for reporting back. As far as I know, none of the regular responders
here use Digital IDs (certificates), which makes it difficult for us to assist
someone who has a problem with it. You took the right approach by
getting help from the certificate issuer.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen

Hi I did after all find how to solve this problem, reinstall the certificate, first to revoke it and then apply for a new one, with the help of customer service though.

So what had happened? Well I had some time back exported the certificate and later again imported it, during this transition I did not import the private key that’s because I did not export it. I found this out when I checked the Certificate Manager ->Personal->Certificates. When one sees the icon of email certificates one would find two key's a big one and a small one, now the email certificate in question did not have the big key on the icon, after reinstalling the new certificate the icon has the big key and now I can send digitally signed emails as well as encrypted it.

Any ways thanks' to all who tried to help in the best possible way,

arico.

Ask a Question