Eliminate drill-down menus?

Steve

Excerpts from a John Dvorak column in PC Magazine -

Microsoft really should reconsider its horrid "drill-down" concept.
This is the process whereby you click through a series of screens to a
point where you can fix a problem or change a simple setting. This is
nothing more than playing hide-and-seek with users. And worse, because
of the series of drill-down clicks needed to make a simple change,
users often can't recall the exact sequence and must click over and
over, hoping to find something recognizable.

We need an approach in which everything is all on one big page. And we
should be able to load and save the page as a file, so any series of
complex settings can be recalled.

The entire drill-down concept, I believe, stems from Microsoft's
deep-seated inability to think for itself. If Apple is doing
something, then Microsoft copies the idea.

Apple's dialog boxes were designed to look cool, and the first time I
saw a tabbed dialog box, I thought it was kind of a neat idea. But all
it does is hide information. I think the original concept was designed
to save screen real estate. These days, though, most people have
1,280-by-1,024 displays. Unless you are using a handheld device,
exactly what is the point?

Sometimes tabbed dialog boxes are necessary - as in Microsoft Word,
which has so many options that having them all on one form would be
confusing. But even in such situations, Microsoft does the job poorly
by stacking the tabs in a confusing manner. Instead of just a line of
tabs, there are two or three rows. And when you click on a tab, it's
difficult to remember what you clicked on previously. When you are
looking for something, you spend a lot of time clicking on tabs you've
already been through. A bigger page with a single long line of tabs
would be easier to work with.

Seldom-used features should be on top of the pile so they can be found
when they are needed. Going to a large form instead of tabbed dialog
boxes is the best solution and the most practical improvement
Microsoft can make in the next version of its OS.

cimex

The article spoke out against tabs because they are the basis of "drilling."
Please reread the article!

I totally agree with Dvorak's message. Drilling is especially problematic
for new users and the non-tech-oriented. It keeps them in a perpetual state
of helplessness when the solution to their problem is locked away in a
labyrinth. We need a whole new approach to the presentation of options,
based on the realities of the human visual perception system, which happens
not to include x-ray vision.

VManes

Or maybe we just need some apps that don't include thousands of seldom
used/usable/useful features that were added just to make the new and
improved version marketable.

It's time for a paradigm shift (Wow, did I really write that!?!?) Programs
that install with a bare minimum of interface features - what you need to do
the work. As you need additional frills or capability, you customize the
interface with what you, the user need, not what some programmer/designer
thinks you need. Like picking from the old fashioned Chinese restaurant
menu - one from column A, two from column B....

Val

--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

The article spoke out against tabs because they are the basis of "drilling."
Please reread the article!

I totally agree with Dvorak's message. Drilling is especially problematic
for new users and the non-tech-oriented. It keeps them in a perpetual state
of helplessness when the solution to their problem is locked away in a
labyrinth. We need a whole new approach to the presentation of options,
based on the realities of the human visual perception system, which happens
not to include x-ray vision.

cimex

YES!
I'm getting hungry at the prospect...

VManes said:
[...]

Better have a snack, it will be a loonnnnngggg wait before any of the big
boys go this route - their marketeers wouldn't have any work to do!
Val