effectiveness at cooling & crunching

Reaction score
Keeping a eye on my pc, have the ASUS Probe utility installed on my A8N-E Motherboard so all should be OK, warning monitor set if CPU over heats. The fact that all the fans now work is a good thing, i know this for a fact as the noise is loud enough, not the quietest PC i have run.:D

Reaction score
feckit said:
Keeping a eye on my pc, have the ASUS Probe utility installed on my A8N-E Motherboard so all should be OK, warning monitor set if CPU over heats. The fact that all the fans now work is a good thing, i know this for a fact as the noise is loud enough, not the quietest PC i have run.:D

What did you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Good thing you are keeping an eye on that, I also had problems initially with my laptop but things are looking good now. :)

If you like to go through the details of the problems I faced here is the link to that ;)

I wonder if something similar can be done to the desktop PC as well

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Good thing you are keeping an eye on that,
I wonder if something similar can be done to the desktop PC as well
Fit a BIGGER fan. ;)

feckit ... what are your temps?

:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Fit a BIGGER fan. ;)

Not just a bigger fan but additional fans are must to keep it cool. What I meant was if there was any tweak/software anyone is aware of to lower the voltages only in a desktop PC. :p

muckshifter

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Not just a bigger fan but additional fans are must to keep it cool. What I meant was if there was any tweak/software anyone is aware of to lower the voltages only in a desktop PC. :p
Quad, overclock in reverse.

A "bog standard PC" does not need additional cooling ... as you found out with your laptop, it is when you actually give it some "work" to do @ 100% do you notice a chink in the armor. Most people will never use more than 10% of the potential power of their PC nevermind running it at 100% as well.

I will pluck a figure out of thin air and say 90% of people NEVER have a problem with cooling ... until they use something like WCG ... even gamers will seldom "hit" 100% CPU usage for more than we throw at our PCs running WCH and such other programs.

I have three systems here ... only one has a case fan, the others have stock HSF and one-fan PSUs ... nothing else ... they are warm but the temps are well within limits ... ;)

I'll go as far to say that IBM better take another look at cooling on their laptops ... 'cos it's obvious from your findings that if you wish to use it at 100% you got know chance. :p

Good job Aircraft engines can run at 110% all day ... init. ;)

Reaction score
temps

Temps are - CPU 42c/107f & MBoard 34c/93f
Fans speeds run @ CPU 3013, PowerFan 6250, Chassis Fan 2596

Since the side chassis fan was connected up it seems to have brougt the temps down.

muckshifter

Reaction score
feckit said:
Temps are - CPU 42c/107f & MBoard 34c/93f
Fans speeds run @ CPU 3013, PowerFan 6250, Chassis Fan 2596

Since the side chassis fan was connected up it seems to have brougt the temps down.
Please pass ... running in engine
It's not kicking up a sweat yet. :D

Mine hovers around 40c ... stock AMD HSF one case fan. :thumb:

The MJW PC ... 34c :rolleyes: ... stock AMD HSF no case fans

The Old Girl ... 47-50c ... had to replace stock AMD HSF (was 4 years old) with a cheapo £5 alternative. no case fan. ;)

ALL PCs run 24/7 full load with WCG:thumb:

Wonder if AMD sell their stock HSF? :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Those temps look really good feckit, 42c for a CPU isn't bad at all :D

muckshifter said:
Good job Aircraft engines can run at 110% all day ... init. ;)

Bit off topic, but were you an engineer for the RAF at one point Mucks, I seem to remember you were but I can't remember? :confused:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I'll go as far to say that IBM better take another look at cooling on their laptops ... 'cos it's obvious from your findings that if you wish to use it at 100% you got know chance. :p

Does "Tropical Climate" ring a bell? :p

Reaction score
all seems fine

For the last few months the PC has run really well, has managed to run all software i have wanted with no trouble, it's just the first 6 months of ownership were a nightmare, went through various new parts, now working fine, may even become a gamer one day:D

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Those temps look really good feckit, 42c for a CPU isn't bad at all :D

Bit off topic, but were you an engineer for the RAF at one point Mucks, I seem to remember you were but I can't remember? :confused:
Yep ... AMechA, did everything but the Engines. :D

Does "Tropical Climate" ring a bell?
Excuses, excuses ... just change the oil & coolant. :rolleyes:

:D

Glad to see all is going well feckit. :thumb:

Ask a Question