Edit Chart Data in PowerPoint 2007


P

PPT HELP 737

Hi - I created a chart in excel 2007 then closed and saved the file (as a PPT
2007 [.pptx] file). Now when I open the file, and select the chart I cannot
select any of the "Data" buttons on the Chart Tools / Design / Data tools -
to edit the chart.

When I go to help it tells me to select the "Open Data" button which I don't
even see.

Please tell me I do not need to recreate my chart.

Thanks
 
Ad

Advertisements

E

Echo S

Please clarify what you did when you "created a chart in excel 2007 then
closed and saved the file (as a PPT 2007 [.pptx] file)."

If you created the chart in Excel, then copied it and pasted it into the PPT
slide, then closed the Excel file without saving, you're going to have to
recreate the chart. See, when you paste a chart from Excel 2007 to PPT 2007,
PPT creates a link to the chart data in Excel. If you didn't save that, then
you're outta luck.

But if you used Insert | Chart (which opens Excel also) in PPT, then the
data will be there inside the embedded Excel file.
 
P

PPT HELP 737

Yes I did create it in PowerPoint, rather than cut an past through Excel. (In
my - admittedly convoluted - original post I was just trying to explain that
I didn’t not try to save the file down to PPT 2003)
It's very weird - I cannot access the data to edit even though when i mouse
over the data points in the chart it shows the plot data. I’m not able to
click on any of the "Data" buttons and when I right click the chart the
"edit data" function is ghosted out.
I don't know i might just try to recreate unless you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Echo S said:
Please clarify what you did when you "created a chart in excel 2007 then
closed and saved the file (as a PPT 2007 [.pptx] file)."

If you created the chart in Excel, then copied it and pasted it into the PPT
slide, then closed the Excel file without saving, you're going to have to
recreate the chart. See, when you paste a chart from Excel 2007 to PPT 2007,
PPT creates a link to the chart data in Excel. If you didn't save that, then
you're outta luck.

But if you used Insert | Chart (which opens Excel also) in PPT, then the
data will be there inside the embedded Excel file.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx


PPT HELP 737 said:
Hi - I created a chart in excel 2007 then closed and saved the file (as a
PPT
2007 [.pptx] file). Now when I open the file, and select the chart I
cannot
select any of the "Data" buttons on the Chart Tools / Design / Data
tools -
to edit the chart.

When I go to help it tells me to select the "Open Data" button which I
don't
even see.

Please tell me I do not need to recreate my chart.

Thanks
 
Ad

Advertisements

E

Echo S

I'm sorry, I don't have other suggestions. Somehow the data has become
divorced from your chart.

Oh...if you go to Office Button | Prepare, do you have an Edit Links option?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx


PPT HELP 737 said:
Yes I did create it in PowerPoint, rather than cut an past through Excel.
(In
my - admittedly convoluted - original post I was just trying to explain
that
I didn’t not try to save the file down to PPT 2003)
It's very weird - I cannot access the data to edit even though when i
mouse
over the data points in the chart it shows the plot data. I’m not able to
click on any of the "Data" buttons and when I right click the chart the
"edit data" function is ghosted out.
I don't know i might just try to recreate unless you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Echo S said:
Please clarify what you did when you "created a chart in excel 2007 then
closed and saved the file (as a PPT 2007 [.pptx] file)."

If you created the chart in Excel, then copied it and pasted it into the
PPT
slide, then closed the Excel file without saving, you're going to have to
recreate the chart. See, when you paste a chart from Excel 2007 to PPT
2007,
PPT creates a link to the chart data in Excel. If you didn't save that,
then
you're outta luck.

But if you used Insert | Chart (which opens Excel also) in PPT, then the
data will be there inside the embedded Excel file.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx


PPT HELP 737 said:
Hi - I created a chart in excel 2007 then closed and saved the file (as
a
PPT
2007 [.pptx] file). Now when I open the file, and select the chart I
cannot
select any of the "Data" buttons on the Chart Tools / Design / Data
tools -
to edit the chart.

When I go to help it tells me to select the "Open Data" button which I
don't
even see.

Please tell me I do not need to recreate my chart.

Thanks
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top