DWT edits

I am actually a novice with frontpage 2003 and am having difficulty editing DWTs and getting them to effect the attachment pages accordingly. If I create new pages from the DWT, they are accurate, but when I attempt to edit the DWT and subsequently update the attached pages, it does not work. I save the DWT and the attachments, but no goods

Any suggestions

ma1948

Thomas A. Rowe

The DWT will only update page automatically that are created in a disk-based web or on a Windows WSS
server. It will not update on server running the FP extensions.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

ma1948 said:
I am actually a novice with frontpage 2003 and am having difficulty editing DWTs and getting them
to effect the attachment pages accordingly. If I create new pages from the DWT, they are accurate,
but when I attempt to edit the DWT and subsequently update the attached pages, it does not work. I
save the DWT and the attachments, but no goods.

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Ma,

If a site is opened using the HTTP protocol on a Web Server (internet or
localhost) with FPSE 2002 or earlier, then this is the behavior observed.
The
‘update more than one page’ feature of the DWT requires WSS on the web
server. Since the 2002 server extensions don’t have this code,
the update doesn’t work against server based webs using that version of the
FPSE.

To work around this problem, you will need to publish this site locally to
Disk based web and then do the necessary DWT activity. To publish it to the
local
disk based web, you could follow these steps,

a. Open the http site using FrontPage 2003.
b. Click on menu File->Publish Site.
c. Under “Remote Web Site” tab, select “File System” and type in the path
on your
local machine where you would like to publish it.
d. Click on OK. Click on “Yes” when prompted to create a new Web location.
e. Ensure it shows the contents of the Remote (Source) site on the left
pane (under
Local Web Site) and it will show the contents of the Local Disk Web
(Destination)
site on the right pane (under Remote Web Site).
f. Now click on “Publish Web Site” button.

This will publish the remote http site contents to the local disk based web.

You could now close the site from the File menu. Then from the file menu,
Open Site
and select the File system location that was typed in earlier and you will
now be
able to work on your local disk as a Disk based web.

Once done, you could publish it back to the remote server.

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?bWExOTQ4?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: DWT edits
|
| I am actually a novice with frontpage 2003 and am having difficulty
editing DWTs and getting them to effect the attachment pages accordingly.
If I create new pages from the DWT, they are accurate, but when I attempt
to edit the DWT and subsequently update the attached pages, it does not
work. I save the DWT and the attachments, but no goods.

Any suggestions?

ma1948

Mike Stumpo

If you don't have alot of pages to open (probably not the
case), you could also open all related pages and then
update the DWT file. This WILL update all attached pages.

-M

MS was way short-sighted in not having this available.
Not everyone is moving to WSS despite what Microsoft
thinks.

Kathleen Anderson [FrontPage MVP]

Vijay said:
Hi Ma,

If a site is opened using the HTTP protocol on a Web Server (internet
or localhost) with FPSE 2002 or earlier, then this is the behavior
observed. The
‘update more than one page’ feature of the DWT requires WSS on the web
server. Since the 2002 server extensions don’t have this code,
the update doesn’t work against server based webs using that version
of the FPSE.

To work around this problem, you will need to publish this site
locally to a
Disk based web and then do the necessary DWT activity.

Vijay:

Couldn't you open your local server based web ( http://localhost/yourweb )
as a disk-based web (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\yourweb), do the necessary DWT
activity, close the disk-based web and then open it up again as a
server-based web?

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Kathleen,

I have not tried this, but 2 issues might crop up!

1. When you open the wwwroot web in FP2003 as a disk based web, it could
potentially update the FPSE version to 6.x.x.x which would confuse FPSE and
result in that "adminstrator program is too old...." error message.

2. Other issue could be if the files have forms that use FPSE functionality
[e-mails, file save, file upload, etc], then these would be disabled as
they don't run on disk based webs. Which would then require you to open the
http:// site again and do a recalc.

Hence, I wouldn't recommend it :)

Vijay said:
Hi Kathleen,

I have not tried this, but 2 issues might crop up!

1. When you open the wwwroot web in FP2003 as a disk based web, it
could potentially update the FPSE version to 6.x.x.x which would
confuse FPSE and result in that "adminstrator program is too old...."
error message.

Can you try it and let us know? :)
2. Other issue could be if the files have forms that use FPSE
functionality [e-mails, file save, file upload, etc], then these
would be disabled as they don't run on disk based webs. Which would
then require you to open the http:// site again and do a recalc.

Not a problem - I do that on a regular basis anyway.

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:21:28 -0800
Hi Ma,

[...]

Stefan B Rusynko

I agree that opening a localhost SE site as a DBW creates a large potential for corrupt FP SE, and eventually you may not be able to
open the localhost in FP
(FP will insist it is a DBW not a FP SE based web)
- like when you try to open the remote and publish to the local host
Any time you open the FP Site FP updates the in web META files associated w/ the Site and the web cache files to identify if it as a
DBW or a SE Site.
- if you do continue to open it as a DBW, make sure that you clear all the *.web associated w/ the site, as a minimum
At worst, hopefully you can always remove the FP SE and reapply them or Publish a backup to the localhost by deleting the local host
copy and starting fresh