dvi to vga adapter

ed jurewicz

In reviewing a video card advertised for sale at a local store, I noticed
that it only had two dvi outputs. The package contents listed two dvi to vga
adapters. Any experience (good or bad) using these adapters with monitors
possessing only vga connectors

Thanx in advance.

John Doe

ed jurewicz said:
In reviewing a video card advertised for sale at a local store,
I noticed that it only had two dvi outputs. The package contents
listed two dvi to vga adapters. Any experience (good or bad)
using these adapters with monitors possessing only vga
connectors

Electronically speaking, I see no reason for concern about using
those adapters. It is a good question, in my opinion, I too would
want to hear any contrary experiences.

The dual monitor cards I am looking at:

.... GeForce 6600 GT AGP 128MB DDR3

.... Radeon 9800 PRO AGP 8X 128MB DDR

Apparently the GeForce has two DVI outputs, the Radeon has a
combination of one VGA and one DVI (requiring one DVI to VGA adapter
for dual monitors). Apparently the Radeon cannot be used for dual
DVI.

The GeForce 6600 GT is significantly more expensive and is noted for
a loud cooling fan. I imagine the Radeon 9800 PRO is slower, but
probably still much faster than the GeForce 3 I currently have.

I am hoping that dual monitor display will be better coming from
only one video card. With two cards, the display becomes corrupted
in certain situations like when playing a full screen game. That is
a chronic problem I have experienced over many years using various
NVIDIA video cards. Overall, dual monitors rock.

The Nice Man in the White Coat

ed said:
In reviewing a video card advertised for sale at a local store, I
noticed that it only had two dvi outputs. The package contents listed
two dvi to vga adapters. Any experience (good or bad) using these
adapters with monitors possessing only vga connectors

I have an ASUS V9999, which is an nVidia 6800 GT something or other. It has
dual DVI out. There are two issues:

1. The adaptors cause the cable to stick out further from the back of the
unit. I have my tower under my desk and the 3 to 4cm of space consumed by
the adaptor sitting between the PC and the wall could be better used by my
right knee.

2. Obviously the DVI adaptor is a mechanical connection. It is therefore
prone to mechanical failure, especially when you hit your PC with your knee
and subsequently kick the shit out of it for having the temerity to stick
out too far.
Thanx in advance.

Get ****ed in advance.

John said:
Electronically speaking, I see no reason for concern about using
those adapters. It is a good question, in my opinion, I too would
want to hear any contrary experiences.

Are you too ****ing stupid to work it out by mere thought? The /obvious/
issue is going to be the propensity to failure, which is inherent in all
mechanical connections, you useless ****.

John Doe

Troll

From: The Nice Man in the White Coat <rory aspbahanas.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: dvi to vga adapter
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:56:01 +0800

Are you too ****ing stupid to work it out by mere thought? The /obvious/
issue is going to be the propensity to failure, which is inherent in all
mechanical connections, you useless ****.

OrgName: Cable Bahamas
OrgID: BAHA
Address: Robinson at Marathon Rd.
Address: CB13050
City: Nassau
StateProv: New Providence
PostalCode: CB13050
Country: BS

NetRange: 24.244.128.0 - 24.244.191.255
CIDR: 24.244.128.0/18
NetName: CABLEBAHAMAS-NET
NetHandle: NET-24-244-128-0-1
Parent: NET-24-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: FIBRE.CABLEBAHAMAS.COM
NameServer: COAX.CABLEBAHAMAS.COM
Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
RegDate: 2000-03-22
Updated: 2002-08-16

TechHandle: AF67-ARIN
TechName: Foster, Andre
TechPhone: 242-356-8976
TechEmail: (e-mail address removed)

OrgTechHandle: AF67-ARIN
OrgTechName: Foster, Andre
OrgTechPhone: 242-356-8976
OrgTechEmail: (e-mail address removed)

OrgName: Cable Bahamas
OrgID: BAHA
Address: Robinson at Marathon Rd.
Address: CB13050
City: Nassau
StateProv: New Providence
PostalCode: CB13050
Country: BS

NetRange: 24.244.172.0 - 24.244.173.255
CIDR: 24.244.172.0/23
NetName: CBL-SA2UBR2-172-0-23
NetHandle: NET-24-244-172-0-1
Parent: NET-24-244-128-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate: 2002-08-08
Updated: 2002-08-08

TechHandle: HM470-ARIN
TechName: Master, Host
TechPhone: 242-356-6780

ed jurewicz wrote:

I have an ASUS V9999, which is an nVidia 6800 GT something or
other. It has dual DVI out. There are two issues:
1. The adaptors cause the cable to stick out further from the
back of the unit. I have my tower under my desk and the 3 to 4cm
of space consumed by the adaptor sitting between the PC and the
wall could be better used by my right knee.
2. Obviously the DVI adaptor is a mechanical connection. It is
therefore prone to mechanical failure, especially when you hit
your PC with your knee and subsequently kick the shit out of it
for having the temerity to stick out too far.

Your panties are in a bind because you cannot make simple
structural adjustments.
Get ****ed in advance.
Troll

From: The Nice Man in the White Coat <rory aspbahanas.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:55:03 +0800

[...]

I am running the leadtek pcie version of this card in my home system (amd
64 3000, asus a8n-e, wd 160g sata hd, plextor 712a sata dvd). I do not
notice any particular noise increase compared to other systems I have
owned--that is after replacing the southbridge fan that orginally came with
the a8n-e.

I also have noticed several specials and rebates recently. I purchased mine
last month from either newegg or zimzoomfly for $149.

John Doe

The GeForce 6600 GT AGP version costs more than the PCI Express
version, much more than the Radeon 9800 Pro AGP.

If a maker wants me to avoid considering their product, all they
have to do is offer a rebate.