DVDR Help!!!

G

I just got a DVD burner and capture device. I'm converting VHS to AVI to MPEG 2 to DVDR. Can someone tell me why You can't go over 60 minutes without losing quality... yet, a store bought movie on DVD can go well over 100 minutes and still look great. Is there any software out there that lets you convert a 120 minute VHS to DVD without losing quality?

S

Shenan Stanley

Dustin said:
I just got a DVD burner and capture device. I'm converting VHS to AVI
to MPEG 2 to DVDR. Can someone tell me why You can't go over 60
minutes without losing quality... yet, a store bought movie on DVD
can go well over 100 minutes and still look great. Is there any
software out there that lets you convert a 120 minute VHS to DVD
without losing quality?

The answer was in your subject..
Go reading at ...

http://dvdrhelp.com/

G

Comercial DVD's are double layer and contain way more data than DVD-R will hold. I can generally get about 90 minutes of full
DVD quality video, converted from VCR tapes, on a disk.
Jef

----- Dustin wrote: ----

I just got a DVD burner and capture device. I'm converting VHS to AVI to MPEG 2 to DVDR. Can someone tell me why You can't go over 60 minutes without losing quality... yet, a store bought movie on DVD can go well over 100 minutes and still look great. Is there any software out there that lets you convert a 120 minute VHS to DVD without losing quality?

G

But then why is it when I copy a store bought DVD to a DVD-R it looks like a perfect clone of the store bought version? For instance.. I copy a 120 minute store bought movie and I can't notice a difference between the quality of the original and the copy. However, if I transfer a 120 minute VHS to DVD the quality will have a very noticeable loss from the original VHS.... but it looks perfect as long as I don't go over 60 minutes. Sorry to harp on this... I've searched tons of sites and haven't found an answer that makes perfect sense.

Reaction score

I hope this responce worked.
U couldn't if u wanted too 3 yrs ago. U r chaning to digital. 60 min was the best then, & it probably will not ever get to. Sorry, been away 4 a few yrs. But it seems analog has it's limits.

Reaction score
But then why is it when I copy a store bought DVD to a DVD-R it looks like a perfect clone of the store bought version? For instance.. I copy a 120 minute store bought movie and I can't notice a difference between the quality of the original and the copy. However, if I transfer a 120 minute VHS to DVD the quality will have a very noticeable loss from the original VHS.... but it looks perfect as long as I don't go over 60 minutes. Sorry to harp on this... I've searched tons of sites and haven't found an answer that makes perfect sense.

Make 60 min DVDs, then back all of them to 1 disc using DVDSHRINK. Worked for me backing up Kill Bill 1&2 onto 1 disc.
Get off analog first, then onto digital.

Ask a Question