DVD Writer trouble


G

GT

OK its my turn with a problem...

I have a Samsung DVD Writer (model SH-S203B, "20x Sata DVD Writer"). It is
only a few months old and has been working without a problem since I got it.
I don't use it very often and when I tried to read a CD yesterday I realised
that there is a problem. Power to the drive is fine - it will open and close
the tray and spin CDs...

In Device Manager, I have 2 drives listed - my "DVD Writer SH-S203B" and
another DVD/CD device (which I don't have) showing up as "PD3090V LBO507K
SCSI CdRom Device". I have no idea what this second device is - I have no
other DVD or CD drives in the system and nothing SCSI in the PC! Both of
these devices have the yellow exclamation and both report "(code 39),
windows cannot find device driver". I do not recall having to install and
drivers on XP when I installed the drive and I can't find any drivers on the
Samsung website or anywhere on the web, which suggests to me that it
shouldn't require a driver.

I can't find anything on the web about this mysterious device. I have no
idea where it came from. What it is and how to get rid of it. If I remove it
from device manager, it appears again after reboot. I can disable it and it
seems to make no difference to anything - My DVD still doesn't work and
still has "code 39".

I have tried removing both devices from the control panel, unplugging the
DVD drive and rebooting windows XP, but it still detects the mysterious
device.

I would suspect a faulty DVD drive if it weren't for this mysterious DVD
device that is detected even when my DVD drive is unplugged.

I have no other systems with SATA to test the DVD drive on.

I wonder if this is part of another problem I have had recently with the
PC - I have an external, USB Digital TV tuner. This stopped working about a
week ago and I don't know why. The TotalMedia 3 software that came with it
and has been working since Christmas 2006 now crashes immediately when
opened and I can't watch TV any more. I have re-installed drivers and
software and no difference.

Do USB devices show up in the device manager?

Any ideas what is going on with my DVD drive anyone?


System is:
Asrock 4CoreDual VSTA
Core 2 e6400
2GB DDR2-800 (running at 667 with upped timings)
NVidia GeForce Fanless 7600GS
1 SATA WD5000AAKS
1 EIDE Samsung Spinpoint SP1604N
PCI Firewire card with nothing connected (for occasional camcorder transfer)
Tevion USB DVB Digital TV Tuner
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

GT

[snip]

I'm going to cut some of the junk out of my original question and focus my
question on...

There is a DVD/CD device listed in my device manager as "PD3090V LBO507K
SCSI CdRom Device". This device has a yellow exclamation mark next to it and
XP is complaining that it can't find drivers for the device (code 39). This
device does not exists in my system. If I remove it from device manager, it
appears again after I reboot or scan for hardware changes.

I can't find anything on the web about such a device and I have no idea
where it came from. I can disable it, but I think it is the cause of a
non-functioning DVD drive (which is currently removed from the system)

What is it and how to get rid of it?

Also, a separate question - are USB devices listed in the device manager?
 
G

Grumps

GT said:
[snip]

I'm going to cut some of the junk out of my original question and focus my
question on...

There is a DVD/CD device listed in my device manager as "PD3090V LBO507K
SCSI CdRom Device". This device has a yellow exclamation mark next to it
and XP is complaining that it can't find drivers for the device (code 39).
This device does not exists in my system. If I remove it from device
manager, it appears again after I reboot or scan for hardware changes.

I can't find anything on the web about such a device and I have no idea
where it came from. I can disable it, but I think it is the cause of a
non-functioning DVD drive (which is currently removed from the system)

What is it and how to get rid of it?

Also, a separate question - are USB devices listed in the device manager?
System is:
Asrock 4CoreDual VSTA
Core 2 e6400
2GB DDR2-800 (running at 667 with upped timings)
NVidia GeForce Fanless 7600GS
1 SATA WD5000AAKS
1 EIDE Samsung Spinpoint SP1604N
PCI Firewire card with nothing connected (for occasional camcorder
transfer)
Tevion USB DVB Digital TV Tuner>

Microsoft have this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 mainly
about code 31, but it does mention code 39 too (with reference to CD/DVD).
 
J

John McGaw

GT said:
OK its my turn with a problem...

I have a Samsung DVD Writer (model SH-S203B, "20x Sata DVD Writer"). It is
only a few months old and has been working without a problem since I got it.
I don't use it very often and when I tried to read a CD yesterday I realised
that there is a problem. Power to the drive is fine - it will open and close
the tray and spin CDs...

In Device Manager, I have 2 drives listed - my "DVD Writer SH-S203B" and
another DVD/CD device (which I don't have) showing up as "PD3090V LBO507K
SCSI CdRom Device". I have no idea what this second device is - I have no
other DVD or CD drives in the system and nothing SCSI in the PC! Both of
these devices have the yellow exclamation and both report "(code 39),
windows cannot find device driver". I do not recall having to install and
drivers on XP when I installed the drive and I can't find any drivers on the
Samsung website or anywhere on the web, which suggests to me that it
shouldn't require a driver.

I can't find anything on the web about this mysterious device. I have no
idea where it came from. What it is and how to get rid of it. If I remove it
from device manager, it appears again after reboot. I can disable it and it
seems to make no difference to anything - My DVD still doesn't work and
still has "code 39".

I have tried removing both devices from the control panel, unplugging the
DVD drive and rebooting windows XP, but it still detects the mysterious
device.

I would suspect a faulty DVD drive if it weren't for this mysterious DVD
device that is detected even when my DVD drive is unplugged.

I have no other systems with SATA to test the DVD drive on.

I wonder if this is part of another problem I have had recently with the
PC - I have an external, USB Digital TV tuner. This stopped working about a
week ago and I don't know why. The TotalMedia 3 software that came with it
and has been working since Christmas 2006 now crashes immediately when
opened and I can't watch TV any more. I have re-installed drivers and
software and no difference.

Do USB devices show up in the device manager?

Any ideas what is going on with my DVD drive anyone?


System is:
Asrock 4CoreDual VSTA
Core 2 e6400
2GB DDR2-800 (running at 667 with upped timings)
NVidia GeForce Fanless 7600GS
1 SATA WD5000AAKS
1 EIDE Samsung Spinpoint SP1604N
PCI Firewire card with nothing connected (for occasional camcorder transfer)
Tevion USB DVB Digital TV Tuner

Have you installed any software lately? Especially any which purport to
deal with DVD/CD images? What you are seeing there _could_ be an "image"
drive which is entirely virtual and is meant to hold the ISO of a real
disc and is meant to fool the system into thinking that it is a real
drive with a real disc in it.
 
G

GT

Grumps said:
GT said:
[snip]

I'm going to cut some of the junk out of my original question and focus
my question on...

There is a DVD/CD device listed in my device manager as "PD3090V LBO507K
SCSI CdRom Device". This device has a yellow exclamation mark next to it
and XP is complaining that it can't find drivers for the device (code
39). This device does not exists in my system. If I remove it from device
manager, it appears again after I reboot or scan for hardware changes.

I can't find anything on the web about such a device and I have no idea
where it came from. I can disable it, but I think it is the cause of a
non-functioning DVD drive (which is currently removed from the system)

What is it and how to get rid of it?

Also, a separate question - are USB devices listed in the device manager?
System is:
Asrock 4CoreDual VSTA
Core 2 e6400
2GB DDR2-800 (running at 667 with upped timings)
NVidia GeForce Fanless 7600GS
1 SATA WD5000AAKS
1 EIDE Samsung Spinpoint SP1604N
PCI Firewire card with nothing connected (for occasional camcorder
transfer)
Tevion USB DVB Digital TV Tuner>

Microsoft have this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 mainly
about code 31, but it does mention code 39 too (with reference to CD/DVD).

Well that fixed the DVD writer problem, thanks. Bizarre!
 
K

kony

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:27:25 -0500, John McGaw

Have you installed any software lately? Especially any which purport to
deal with DVD/CD images? What you are seeing there _could_ be an "image"
drive which is entirely virtual and is meant to hold the ISO of a real
disc and is meant to fool the system into thinking that it is a real
drive with a real disc in it.

I'll second that, the phantom drive looks like something
Daemon Tools or similar would create.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

GT

kony said:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:27:25 -0500, John McGaw



I'll second that, the phantom drive looks like something
Daemon Tools or similar would create.

I forgot I had installed Daemon Tools a month or two back! The MS link from
Grumps has fixed the DVD writer problem and removed the exclamation mark
from both DVDs in the device manager, so I will just ignore this extra drive
as it is now causing no trouble!

Another problem sorted by this group!
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top