DVD reader or CD burner should go in favor of new DVD burner?

roadrunner

Clear DayI have a 2800+ Athlon w/512 meg ram, 120 gig HD, DVD reader and CD
burner,
and using Windows XP Home as my OS. I just bought a new Sony DRU-530A DVD
burner and want opinions on which of the disc drives I presently have would
you sacrifice? (I only have 2 bays available)
I bought it (Sony) to burn Data DVD's to b/u my files/system. I also want
to use it to copy some DVD's I OWN and to burn some of my best VHS movies to
DVD. I deal a lot w/mp3 files, some pictures and a few videos I've dl'd from
the net.
The drives I presently have are:
"JLMS XJ-HD 166S" as the DVD reader and,
"LITE-ON LTR-48246S" as the CD burner.
I also use a Sony Mini-Disk player/recorder, model MZ-S1 which requires the
"Sonic-Stage" software to download mp3 files to this device. The new Sony
DRU-530A DVD burner I want to install has the Sony
format "ATRAC-3" for compressing mp3's down to the point one can put 490+
songs on a CD-R. I don't use this presently but will when I buy a new
portable cd player, it will be a Sony w/ATRAC-3.
My question is; if my best option is to keep the present CD burner I have
and replace the DVD reader w/the Sony DRU-530A DVD burner will my 2 CD
burners work in harmony or could there be a conflict?
And lastly; if I keep the DVD reader I have and delete the CD burner for the
new Sony DVD burner could I "read" DVD files directly from the DVD reader
and copy to the DVD burner? Which would be more advantageous?
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Lil' Dave

Try dvdrhelp.com

Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd.authoring, alt.video.dvd.software, alt.video.dvdr

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

They will work harmoniously if you install both burners. The only downside
is that you would not be able to do DVD-to-DVD direct burning.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

DCC

You can do everything on the one new drive. So you can get rid of both old
ones. If you want to keep one of the old drives, I don't know why Rick
"Nutcase" Rogers <[email protected]> says you can't do DVD-to-DVD direct
burning, but I would take his word for it he is very knowledgeable. So maybe
keep the Lite-On burner for direct CD-R burning.
Flip a coin?
DC

Hi !

I think keeping the dvd reader and dvd burner would be a sensible option as your are dealing with music and movies .
Recording such kind of data on cds would take a lot of time and your cds too.

On the other hand, keeping the dvd burner along with the reader makes copying dvds easier, faster and as well as handy.

But if there are two channels on your mother board ( primary channel and secondary channel ) , then even connecting even your cd-writer drive wont be a problem .

Check with your hardware vendor for further details.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

I stated that he can't do DVD to DVD burning if he keeps both burners, as
the one (CD burner) cannot read DVD's.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Lil' Dave

The movie industry got rid of the last A/V DVD copying software via the
legal system. That doesn't mean such software isn't floating around
somewhere. It is/was illegal because it removed the copy protection. Am
sure you're not confusing copying with ripping but others may. It is also
illegal to rip a commercial sold A/V DVD, encode and burn your own as a
personal backup. Hope no one bounces back with data DVDs excuse...real
lame.