Dual processor support

Johannes Kantelberg

Windows XP supported dual processor motherboards. I assume Vista will as well.
But how will Vista handle things like the new Intel Quad Core CPUs? Will it be
advantageous in having a dual processor motherboard with two quad core
processors in it or will a single Core Duo motherboard perform just as well?
Which motherboards will be optimum for Vista?

Johannes van Vuren,

Cambridge, UK.

Robert Moir

Johannes said:
Windows XP supported dual processor motherboards. I assume Vista will
as well.
Yes

But how will Vista handle things like the new Intel Quad
Core CPUs?

Same way XP did. It supports multiple *processors*. The amount of cores per
processor is irrelevant to the number of processors it supports. 2 cores per
processor, 4, or 40, it's all the same (errors and obscure bugs that haven't
been found yet because no-one can test a 40-core processor excepted, of
course!).
Will it be advantageous in having a dual processor
motherboard with two quad core processors in it or will a single Core
Duo motherboard perform just as well?

Define advantageous. Vista will see and use all 8 cores in your scenario
above. How well those cores are used depends on the application software you
choose to run - if your apps are not properly threaded to take advantage of
all the cores then the OS can't make them work better by magic).
Which motherboards will be
optimum for Vista?

That is kinda a well with no bottom. In terms of recent "desktop" hardware,
any AMD boards that support the AM2 socket right now would be fine, as would
any Intel family boards that can make use of the Core2Duo range. If you're
talking about dual multi-core processors then you need to be looking at the
whole of workstation or server building as an entire project rather than
worrying about just one component.

Regards,
Rob

Gerry Hickman

Hi Robert,

Good question.
Same way XP did. It supports multiple *processors*. The amount of cores per
processor is irrelevant

I read today in the volume license agreement that you are only allowed
to install Vista to max two processor cores! Not sure about OEM and retail.

I know it sounds a bit crazy and maybe they'll change it, but probably
worth a mention.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Gerry,
Robert is correct.
Be careful not applying cores where it should read sockets.
Point me to the agreement, it should be referencing sockets not cores
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:42:22 +0000
<From: Gerry Hickman <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Dual processor support
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
<
<Hi Robert,
<
<>> But how will Vista handle things like the new Intel Quad
<>> Core CPUs?
<
<Good question.
<
<> Same way XP did. It supports multiple *processors*. The amount of cores
per
<> processor is irrelevant
<
<I read today in the volume license agreement that you are only allowed
<to install Vista to max two processor cores! Not sure about OEM and retail.
<
<I know it sounds a bit crazy and maybe they'll change it, but probably
<worth a mention.
<
<--
<Gerry Hickman (London UK)
<

Jeff

Darrell,

Not to be picky,but
is there a way for you to,not post mail properties when you respond?

Jeff

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jeff,
I don't have that choice. I can either post with the original message or
without the original message
I had complaints when I didn't include the original message so I started
including it.
It's an either or situation.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Doug

I have an ASUS PC-DL Deluxe MB with 2 Xeon processors with Hyperthreading
XP Pro sees 4 CPUs, XP Home sees 2
Vista Ultimate sees 4 , Vista Home Premium sees 2

Doug

JW

Vista Basic and Vista Home Premium will support one CPU Chip even if it has
more then one Core on it just like XP home does.
Vista Basic and Vista Ultimate will support more then one CPU chip which may
have more then one Core on it just like XP Pro does.
What you are seing is exactly correct for Vista.

David Wilkinson

Darrell said:
Hello Jeff,
I don't have that choice. I can either post with the original message or
without the original message
I had complaints when I didn't include the original message so I started
including it.
It's an either or situation.

Darrell:

What newsreader is that? Everybody else is able to quote replies without
headers.

David Wilkinson

Gerry Hickman

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for the help and clarifications with this.

I don't think it said "sockets" or "cores", it actually says "processors".

I'm looking at p.17 of the PUR (Word format) linked at the top of this page

<http://www.microsoftvolumelicensing.com/userights/PUR.aspx>

a) Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the
licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on
that device at one time.

In my view, this wording is not as clear as it should be in the context
of the new Quad core processors.
Hello Gerry,
Robert is correct.
Be careful not applying cores where it should read sockets.
Point me to the agreement, it should be referencing sockets not cores
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:42:22 +0000
<From: Gerry Hickman <[email protected]>
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
<
<Hi Robert,
<
<

Robert Moir

David said:
What newsreader is that? Everybody else is able to quote replies
without headers.

I believe he's using Tomcat which is an inhouse Microsoft tool, and it's
strength isn't in how it handles replying to posts.

Robert Moir

Gerry said:
a) Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the
licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on
that device at one time.

In my view, this wording is not as clear as it should be in the
context of the new Quad core processors.

It could be clearer but it is correct at least. The new intel part is a
"Quad Core Processor", singular, as was the Core2Duo and as is the X2.

Robert Moir

Doug said:
I have an ASUS PC-DL Deluxe MB with 2 Xeon processors with
Hyperthreading XP Pro sees 4 CPUs, XP Home sees 2
Vista Ultimate sees 4 , Vista Home Premium sees 2

Then your system is working correctly. It's a little hard to find any useful
informationon the content-free Microsoft Vista website because they were
obviously far more concerned with getting the exact shade of blue/grey text
that is designed to be almost but not quite invisible on their blue/green
background just right, but as far as I can tell the home editions support
one processor, as I said earlier the amount of cores per processor is
another thing.

Doug

I know it is working correctly ;-) I was just letting the origional poster
know
the differences when he said he knew XP supported dual processer
motherboards and asking about Vista.

Doug

Rick Rogers

It (tomcat) pulls headers when it has to read the message from the source
code rather than the message text, and I believe it has to with most mozilla
products. I am surprised that MS has never bothered to change from that
tool, though I'm sure it has its own uses in-house.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org