dual core processors

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
ok i got a amd 64 x2 3800+ installed in my computer. I read elswhere in this forum that yu can use task manager to set different programs to use the different cores. How do you do this??
thanks in advance

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
All you have really done is "future proof" you system ... for when 'software' can catch up.

Software Dependent

While the concept of multiple processors sounds very appealing, there is a major caveat to this ability. In order for the true benefits of the multiple processors to be seen, the software that is running on the computer must be written to support multithreading. Without the software supporting such a feature, threads will be primarily run through a single processor thus degrading the efficiency.

Thankfully, all of the major current operating systems have multithreading capability. But the multithreading must also be written into the application software. Most of the applications that the average user runs currently do not have this. As a result, any speed benefits will solely be from the operating system being able to separate applications between the processors.

A good example to explain this is to look at a typical PC game. Most games require some form of rendering engine to display what is happening in the game. In addition to this, there is some sort of artificial intelligence to control the computers controlled events in the game. With a single processor, both of these must function by switching between the two. This is not necessarily efficient. If the system had multiple processors, the rendering and AI could each run on a separate processor. This looks like an ideal situation for a multiple processor.

The problem is that the game, like most applications, is not designed to take advantage of the multiple processors. As a result, both the rendering and AI happen on a single processor leaving the second processor essentially unused. As a result, a multiple core PC will not have any speed benefit. If the game is designed with multiple threads, then a dual-core processor would be advantageous over a single processor.

Clock Speeds

One thing that has not been mentioned yet is clock speeds. Most people are still familiar with the fact that the higher the clock speed, the faster the processor will be. Dual-core processors are going to make things more complex. Since the dual-core processors are being designed to fit in roughly the same dimensions as a single core processor, speeds are not going to be equivalent.

Most of the early dual-core processors are going to be running at lower clock speeds compared to single core processors. The rational behind it is that a dual-core processor with each running at 1GHz should be equivalent to a single processor running at 2GBz. The problem is that this doesn't work in practice when the applications are not written to take advantage of the multiple processors. Until the software is written this way, unthreaded applications will run faster on a single processor than a dual-core CPU.

Conclusions

Those individuals out there who already use software that is multithreaded will see the most benefit from the dual processors. For the majority of people, there is not going to be much of a benefit for the dual-core over a single core processor. This will gradually change as the dual-core model becomes more common, but it will likely take some time.

;)

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
thanks for all that info but is thee not a way to set one program like a video converter to use one core and for an image editor to use the other core so both of them would not slow the other one down??

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
thanks for all that info but is thee not a way to set one program like a video converter to use one core and for an image editor to use the other core so both of them would not slow the other one down??
Sorry Chelsea, I have no idea ... as far as I can see if the "software" cannot "see" what to do then it ain't gonna do it.

Better wait for someone with a bit more knowledge than I on the subject ... you still have a potential winner there, but I would have just plonked in an ordinary CPU and then at a later date, upgraded.

I'm still using an nForce 2 and a Barton 2500 ... it does all I need. :thumb:

I will be going 64bit/939 and I will invest a lot of time and money in which motherboard I choose ... but I will 'cut corners' as to what other 'stuff' I get and probably have that system for 3 years without 'upgrading' no doubt by then we'll be onto some new fangled quad-speed CPU and I'll need a new MB. :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
open task manager then right click the process you want to assign, click 'set affinity' and a window will pop up then uncheck the box for the core that you dont want it to run on

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
ok this is werid cus i have the amd 3800 x2 processor and in task manager there is no set affinity button am i doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the setup??

thanks again

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
does it show a graph for both cores ? like this

Attachments

• task manager.JPG
    task manager.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 186

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
no it just shows one single graph

Attachments

• graph.JPG
    graph.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
was this an upgrade ? and did you reinstall windows if it is ?

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
yes to both of those is there something i need to do in the bios? also i did not install the components i got the people at the local computer stroe that we know to install them

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you may need to do a BIOS upgrade or update the ACPI driver

check the driver by doing to the device manager (right click 'my computer' > properties> hardware tab) expand 'computer' it should say 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC'

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
you may need to do a BIOS upgrade or update the ACPI driver

check the driver by doing to the device manager (right click 'my computer' > properties> hardware tab) expand 'computer' it should say 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC'

it doesnt say acpi multiprocessor pc it just says advanced configuration and power interface not acpi multiprocessor. Also how do i update that driver and i dont know how to update the driver of this board it is an asus a8v ai series board
thanks for all of your help

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you need to check your BIOS version, download CPUZ, extract and run "CPUZ" then clcik the mainboard tab and it will say what version you have, it needs to be version 0208 or higher

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-131.zip

if it needs updating then download version 0208 or higher from the ASUS site and flash the BIOS with the EZ flash utility which should be on the CD that came with the motherboard

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8V

EDIT: the manual that came with the motherboard should cover this in reasonable detail

Last edited:

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
ok i ran that program and the bios is verison 0213 so i dont really know what the problem is. Any other ideas is there a possibility that the chip is faulty?

Ask a Question