Dual Boot with Upgrade of Vista Home Premium

Chuck

I currently have XP pro installed on my C drive.

I have bought Vista Home premium upgrade and would like to install
that on a seperate drive - call that D.

However, I would like to retain XP pro as a usable system until I am
satisfied that Vista will do all that I need it to do - particularly
with regard to much of my older software. If I find software/hardware
that won't run under Vista, then I'd like to keep XP indefinately.

Now I understand that running the "Upgrade" will result in a Clean
Install (with no settings carried forward - and that is fine with me)
but it will also result in Xp being disabled, which is NOT what I
want.

As it happens, I still have a copy of Win 2000, and I understand that
can be used as a qualifier for Vista.

The question is, how do I do that without destroying XP.

Does it mean that I have to install it on D first. If so, is that
actually possible given that I have XP pro on C.

Appreciate any help

pete

First you would need to install XP Pro as a new installation on the D
drive....this should create the Dual Boot.Be sure to name the installation
folder in such a way so you know which OS is which when the dual boot choice
comes up.
Then while you are in that D XP Pro OS start the Vista Upgrade installation.
Watch and be sure it is upgrading the D installation.
It might not be legal but it should work.
peter

Ron Sommer

See if the Bios will let you switch which hard drive boots.

Or get a boot manager.
--
Ronald Sommer

<Chuck> wrote in message :I currently have XP pro installed on my C drive.
:
[...]

I did what you want to do using a full edition of Vista Premium to avoid any
problems, but you should be able to use a upgrade version by using the work
around for a clean install with the upgrade edition. Just install Vista in
the dual boot mode without entering the keys when asked and then after setup
is complete use this Vista version to satisfy the upgrade requirements by
starting a second Vista installation from with the existing Vista OS, this
time using the keys.

Chuck

That was my initial plan, but I am concerned that this will disable
the XP install (I have an upgrade) even during the initial unactivated
install.

I can do a clean install without corrupton if I remove the XP disk
during the install, but would then presumably name D as C, meaning
that I couldn't run with both disks in the machine at the same time
and I would like to have access to other data on the XP drive l when
running Vista

Scott

That was my initial plan, but I am concerned that this will disable
the XP install (I have an upgrade) even during the initial unactivated
install.

I can do a clean install without corrupton if I remove the XP disk
during the install, but would then presumably name D as C, meaning
that I couldn't run with both disks in the machine at the same time
and I would like to have access to other data on the XP drive l when
running Vista

Back up your Vista partition and see what happens.....

BChat

If you read through the NG you'll find using an UPGRADE version
ties the XP license to the new Vista OS. Just as if you traded your old car
in on
a new one - you only get to drive the new one. If you want to drive them
both,
you have to buy the new one outright.............................;-)
trade in = upgrade

<Chuck> wrote in message That was my initial plan, but I am concerned that this will disable
the XP install (I have an upgrade) even during the initial unactivated
install.

I can do a clean install without corrupton if I remove the XP disk
during the install, but would then presumably name D as C, meaning
that I couldn't run with both disks in the machine at the same time
and I would like to have access to other data on the XP drive l when
running Vista

Ron Sommer

What makes you say that you can't run both disks if XP says it is on C and
Vista says it is on C?
Whichever drive is not booted will become D.
You will be able to access both drives.

I would disconnect the XP drive.
Install Win 2000.
Install Vista.
Make the Vista drive the first drive in the boot order.
http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/intro.php
Reconnect the XP drive.
Use vistabootpro to setup a dual boot.

If something doesn't work, all you have to do, is disconnect the Vista drive
and XP will boot.
--
Ronald Sommer

<Chuck> wrote in message : That was my initial plan, but I am concerned that this will disable
: the XP install (I have an upgrade) even during the initial unactivated
: install.
:
: I can do a clean install without corrupton if I remove the XP disk
: during the install, but would then presumably name D as C, meaning
: that I couldn't run with both disks in the machine at the same time
: and I would like to have access to other data on the XP drive l when
: running Vista
:
: On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:47:00 -0800, tsm21
:
: >I did what you want to do using a full edition of Vista Premium to avoid
any
: >problems, but you should be able to use a upgrade version by using the
work
: >around for a clean install with the upgrade edition. Just install Vista
in
: >the dual boot mode without entering the keys when asked and then after
setup
: >is complete use this Vista version to satisfy the upgrade requirements by
: >starting a second Vista installation from with the existing Vista OS,
this
: >time using the keys.
: >--
: >Tom M
: >
: >
: >"Chuck" wrote:
: >
: >> I currently have XP pro installed on my C drive.
: >>
[...]

And that is exactly what I've done and it works perfectly.

So this means I have managed to retain my XP installation without
violating the Vista EULA as I have upgraded Win 2000.

I suspect the same process would work using the well known "double
install" of Vista Upgrade without first installing Win 2000, but I
also suspect that is violating the Vista EULA.