Dropped Laptop :(

Reaction score
My 4yr old dropped my laptop off the counter :eek:

Although it initially powered up again when I took the power cable out to move it the whole thing crashed :mad:

When I tried to switch it back on it wouldnt do anything without the power cable being plugged on & even then it wont let me open windows :confused:

I keep getting a message saying either something about a physical memory dump or that it cant safely open windows :(

can anyone help please ?? :thumb: bearing in mind I am not very technical minded :blush:

thanks ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You have have damaged some of the battery workings somehow inside the unit, so that physical damage would be quite expensive to repair if you use it mobile.

The physical memory dump error is probably the spinning hard drive inside the unit is somehow damaged and caused a crash. If you have any information on the laptop I suggest you get it off there as quickly as possible.

Unfortunatly, as your laptop is 4 years old it may be more expensive to repair than replace it :(

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply :thumb:

its my daughter thats 4 not the laptop lol :blush:

the laptop is at most i think 2 yrs old :)

Do you think Id be better off just getting another laptop rather than getting it repaired??

Reaction score
I concurr,

Get your stuff transfered to another drive ASAP

You will need an adaptor for the 2.5 drive to connect to another computer via USB or you can pay to have it done.

Let us knw how u get on!

GL

Reaction score
Beth26W said:
Do you think Id be better off just getting another laptop rather than getting it repaired??

Depends how good it is...

Do you have home insurance that would cover it? Is it still under warranty? If it is and it has no external damage as such then you might get away with sending it back...

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

Do you have home insurance that would cover it? Is it still under warranty? If it is and it has no external damage as such then you might get away with sending it back...

Yes maybe m8, but from the explanation of errors that were being recieved I would say the drive still needs to be backedup pronto. Wouldnt you agree?

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

I dont know enough about comps to know whether its a good one or not :blush: Its a Compaq Evo N800c if thats any help lol

I will check out my home insurance I hadnt even thought of that , thanks :)

Reaction score
Beth26W said:
thanks, I will see if I can get an adaptor today for it :)

Beth what I meant as an adaptor was actually an external case that u plug into a USB port.

Just a case of removing hard drive from laptop fitting it into case and plugging into another computer. Really easy, Honest !!

Reaction score
:blush: :blush: very red face now lol

I did say i wasnt very technical minded :blush:

& it reallllllly doesnt sound easy :eek: haha but will pop into the computer shop today & hopefully be able to whats needed to at least try lol

Reaction score
Beth26W said:
:blush: :blush: very red face now lol

I did say i wasnt very technical minded :blush:

& it reallllllly doesnt sound easy :eek: haha but will pop into the computer shop today & hopefully be able to whats needed to at least try lol

OK Beth i've done a bit of searching and found the case I have all depends if you wanna spend cash I guess. By all means get the laptop cheked out first before you go spending pennies unecessarily first.

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=373

Reaction score
yeah thats the one i have :thumb:

I know im covered for accidental damages so hopefully I will be covered for this ;)

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
OK Beth i've done a bit of searching and found the case I have all depends if you wanna spend cash I guess. By all means get the laptop cheked out first before you go spending pennies unecessarily first.

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=373

thank you very much thats made it a hundred times easier for me :D

I didnt want to just take the laptop into a shop first because like car garages these people often seem to see me coming a mile off lol :blush:

so thank you all very much for your help :thumb: will let you know how I get on :)

Ask a Question