DroidDream virus hits 50+ apps on Android Marketplace

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Following on from earlier problems, it seems that Android has been hit by another security issue. There are new reports of over 50 Android Marketplace applications containing malicious code. Although the apps have now been removed, over 200,000 people downloaded them. They were copies of already popular programs, such as games that had been repackaged to include the new code.

The suspect apps were discovered by Reddit user Lompolo who, after some investigation, found that the authors didn't match. He looked at a game which allowed users to play guitar on their handsets, and noticed that although the new version retained the same functionality of the original, it contained the virus code hidden within the application. Lompolo originally found 21 apps, but he was soon surpassed by Android Police who, after an in depth investigation, found a total of over 50.

Read more @ Neowin

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Doh, of course, I forgot, mate of mine was showing me that on his Google phone last week.

Well, that's grim news then :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Doh, of course, I forgot, mate of mine was showing me that on his Google phone last week.

Well, that's grim news then :(

Not really ;) mobile phones are mana from heaven for the crims and they are concentrating more of thier efforts towards hacking them . This means that they are spending less time hacking pc's. Looks good to me. :dance:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Not good news that!

But I have been waiting for the inevitable glut of Viruses to hit Android at some point, looks like its finally happened...
Still at least Billy boy has the heat taken off him while all the wasters out there concentrate on Google and the mobile market..:fool:

Would like to know what Apps and games though as I have an Android phone and I got a couple of apps on it, purely for demonstration purposes..:D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I was planning to get an Android Phone but I guess I will stick to my Blackberry for a while, at least until the dust settles down.:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything new on this front?

Having recently picked up an Android device, I am curious to what extent I need to protect myself and how.

What do you use to protect yourself?
I use Avast it's free :)

I did not "root" it, I need to read up on what that really does, but at least I can uninstall if I find anything better.

I don't download shed loads of "stuff" except all the Angry Birds. :lol:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
@mucks - I am with you. I thought about rooting the device, but I don't know enough about it to do something like opening it up to the world. I also am keeping my app downloads to a list of, hopefully, ones that won't be infected. Pandora and the like.

I am totally against giving any access to those at Symantec/Norton for this purpose. Unless, of course, it is determined that they are the absolute top level company at this stuff.

I am interested in learning and what I can do with this thing. Maybe I'll go buy another one to use and keep this one to play with and "break."

Ask a Question