Driver Signing

Kurt Harriger

I'm trying to install VMWare v 1.0.3-44356 on Vista x64 but keep getting an
error that windows requires a signed driver. I've tried restarting and
selecting Disable Driver Signing option, tried Bcdedit.exe /set
nointegritychecks ON, and gpedit changing the Code Signing for drivers
drivers setting to enabled/ignore. None of these have worked, and I still
get a error when installing VMWare. Whats the deal?

- Kurt

Paul Adare

I'm trying to install VMWare v 1.0.3-44356 on Vista x64 but keep getting an
error that windows requires a signed driver. I've tried restarting and
selecting Disable Driver Signing option, tried Bcdedit.exe /set
nointegritychecks ON, and gpedit changing the Code Signing for drivers
drivers setting to enabled/ignore. None of these have worked, and I still
get a error when installing VMWare. Whats the deal?

All kernel mode drivers in Vista x64 must be signed and there is no way
around that at all with x64. VMWare will need to get their drivers signed.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

Kurt Harriger

Can I self-sign them?

I can understand a signature requirement if vista actually validates the
signature and ensures the file has not been altered at every startup (which
I kinda doubt) in which case vista should just give me the option to
self-sign it, but if only used to tell me who the author the file then its a
stupid feature and should be removed or at least have the option to disable
it, in either case I should be able to install the drivers if I want to
without having to jump over a bunch of artifical walls MS puts in my way.

- Kurt

Brian Komar

Can I self-sign them?

I can understand a signature requirement if vista actually validates the
signature and ensures the file has not been altered at every startup (which
I kinda doubt) in which case vista should just give me the option to
self-sign it, but if only used to tell me who the author the file then its a
stupid feature and should be removed or at least have the option to disable
it, in either case I should be able to install the drivers if I want to
without having to jump over a bunch of artifical walls MS puts in my way.

- Kurt

To do this you must switch back to the 32-bit OS. 64-bit *requires* signed
drivers, no exceptions.
Sorry to be blunt, but that is the way it is
Brian

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Kurt,
Read the following paper for driver signing options.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/64bit/kmsigning.mspx

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Kurt Harriger" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Driver Signing
|>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:36:32 -0600
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|>
|>Can I self-sign them?
|>
|>I can understand a signature requirement if vista actually validates the
|>signature and ensures the file has not been altered at every startup
(which
|>I kinda doubt) in which case vista should just give me the option to
|>self-sign it, but if only used to tell me who the author the file then
its a
|>stupid feature and should be removed or at least have the option to
disable
|>it, in either case I should be able to install the drivers if I want to
|>without having to jump over a bunch of artifical walls MS puts in my way.
|>
|>- Kurt

|>> All kernel mode drivers in Vista x64 must be signed and there is no way
|>> around that at all with x64. VMWare will need to get their drivers
signed.

|>> --
|>> Paul Adare
|>> MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine
|>> http://www.identit.ca
|>> "The English language, complete with irony, satire, and sarcasm, has
|>> survived for centuries without smileys. Only the new crop of modern
|>> computer geeks finds it impossible to detect a joke that is not clearly
|>> labeled as such."
|>> Ray Shea

Kurt Harriger

Thanks. I think managed to get the driver installed using a test
certificate, been years since I wrote any C code, good fun! The device now
appears in device manager and says its working properly but still having
some errors when starting the services. "The VMware vmx86 service failed to
start due to the following error:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware
or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or
damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source."
Although, I just noticed while trying to reinstall it that I'm missing some
other drivers, I got lucky with the network drivers and stumbled on the dir
it placed the drivers and associated inf file during install, but don't see
where it put the other drivers, so perhaps the error has nothing to do with
the network drivers but with the other drivers I didn't sign. I'll mess
around with it a bit more some other day see if I can't use the windows
installer sdk to extract the other driver files out of the msi, hopefully
VMWare will beat me to it and I wont need to bother :). I'm actually kinda
surprised I got as far as I did.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

- Kurt