Drive Imaging/Backup Freeware

I am looking for freeware hard disk imaging/back up software.

Must work with NTFS
Must be able to span DVD-R and/or CD-R as needed
Must be able to create a disc that can be booted and restore the image with out
preinstall of OS. This step must be just a check box to create this type of
disk. I don't have time to fool around with Bart PE etc..

Suggestions on this area? ?

I've looked at XPDRVIMAGE (no longer supported or in development) others have
went commercial. So nothing to compete with Ghost in the freeware arena? ? ?

bambam

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
<[email protected]>. Forward a copy of ALL headers INCLUDING the
body. (DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS) X-Comments2: IMPORTANT: Newsfeeds.com
does not condone,support,nor tolerate spam or any illegal or
copyrighted postings. X-Comments: This message was posted through
Newsfeeds.com X-Old-Xref: news.xtra.co.nz alt.comp.freeware:405615

I am looking for freeware hard disk imaging/back up software.

Must work with NTFS
Must be able to span DVD-R and/or CD-R as needed
Must be able to create a disc that can be booted and restore the image
with out preinstall of OS. This step must be just a check box to
create this type of disk. I don't have time to fool around with Bart
PE etc..

Suggestions on this area? ?

I've looked at XPDRVIMAGE (no longer supported or in development)
others have went commercial. So nothing to compete with Ghost in the
freeware arena? ? ?

What are you really looking for?

What are you really looking for?

Just like the subject and post says FREEWARE DISK IMAGE/BACKUP

I want it to work. I want to tell it backup/image drive c: to DVD-R drive D and
go away till I need to put in another disk if needed. Support of Dual Layer
DVD-R's would be a plus too.

I don't want to go through a bunch of steps & gyrations to get a image/back up
that needs Bart PE or some other disc created to get it to restore to a OS less
computer. If I wipe the hard disk and put the DVD/CD into the drive it should
pop up "Restore image to drive c:?" I click yes it restores the image from the
DVD/CD(s). Done.

If no one ones to compete in the freeware arena then I will get a $7.00 copy of
Ghost off Ebay, but I will give the little guy the first try.

JP Loken

På Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:11:45 +0100, skrev
I am looking for freeware hard disk imaging/back up software.

Must work with NTFS
Must be able to span DVD-R and/or CD-R as needed
Must be able to create a disc that can be booted and restore the image
with out
preinstall of OS. This step must be just a check box to create this type
of
disk. I don't have time to fool around with Bart PE etc..

Suggestions on this area? ?

I've looked at XPDRVIMAGE (no longer supported or in development) others
have
went commercial. So nothing to compete with Ghost in the freeware arena?
? ?
<snip>

Partition Saving
http://www.partition-saving.com/
Not quite as user-friendly as commercial products.
Not sure about DVD-R(guess it should work).

Al Klein

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:54:03 -0500,
If I wipe the hard disk and put the DVD/CD into the drive it should
pop up "Restore image to drive c:?" I click yes it restores the image from the
DVD/CD(s). Done.

So you want the backup to be a bootable disk? Since no one can supply
the OS with the program (copyright issues), or they can only supply a
public domain OS (and you don't want to be bothered with that), you've
logically eliminated the possibility of what you want.

Roger Johansson

socrtwo said:
Maybe something here from my imager section will be helpful, don't know
(I'm not being sarcastic, I don't yet have much experience with a lof
the software I list):

The title of this web page can be read as "disk image software that
doesn't work".

Failing - Disk Imagers

Or it can be read as disk image software for failing disks?

Failing Disk - Imagers

This title is confusing.

Partition Saving is good freeware. Its user interface is just as good
as in its commercial equivalents and correctly used it is faster than
them.

REM

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
I am looking for freeware hard disk imaging/back up software.
Must work with NTFS
Must be able to span DVD-R and/or CD-R as needed
Must be able to create a disc that can be booted and restore the image with out
preinstall of OS. This step must be just a check box to create this type of
disk. I don't have time to fool around with Bart PE etc..
Suggestions on this area? ?

You'll need to boot up with your XP install CD. If you only have a
"recovery CD" you can create a simple install CD by following the
directions linked below:

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm#ME

Scroll down to get to the section on XP.

This is a quote from the DrvImagerXP help files concerning XP ASR:

"Automated System Recovery

Before you start saving and restoring hard drives that contain the
currently running operating system (the system partition), I strongly
recommend you save the information first by using XP's Automated
System Recovery program, xcopy, or Windows Explorer. This will be
your safety net, should you make a mistake (I've made my share). Once
you've made a couple successful restores, then you can rely on
DrvImagerXP without the need for an additional backup. I will show
you how to use XP's Automated System Recovery program. It is a very
easy process, and should you have to restore your partition, one
button click will do the trick with no other intervention on your
part.

Put a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive.

Run the Backup program from Start > All Programs > Accessories >
System Tools

Click the Advanced Mode setting.

Click on the Automated System Recovery Wizard button.

Click Next.

Select a place for the backup file (hard drive, tape backup,
whatever).

Click Next, then Finish.

The program will take awhile to backup all the necessary files, then
write information to the floppy, and you're done.

To restore the backup file you just created:

Place the floppy in the drive.

Boot your computer using your XP CD.

When the CD first starts, it will ask you (briefly) to press the F2
key for Automated System Recovery. Press the F2 key and walk away.

When the restore is done, your computer will be displaying the desktop
of the default operating system."

So you want the backup to be a bootable disk? Since no one can supply
the OS with the program (copyright issues), or they can only supply a
public domain OS (and you don't want to be bothered with that), you've
logically eliminated the possibility of what you want.

Thats assuming your using a certain companies OS. I don't care what it does to
boot up and install the image. Most use their own system to do this and its not
Windoze. Programs like memtester boot up and run with out any OS of any sort,
they handle it themselves. Nothing says you have to boot to DOS, wimpdoze,
Linux, Unix, or anything else IF YOU KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM IT. Use the BIOS and
the routines it has to boot and run it all in machine code. Limits your "pretty
factor" as you don't have all the bloated API's to draw cute screens. For this
thats needed.

You'll need to boot up with your XP install CD. If you only have a
"recovery CD" you can create a simple install CD by following the

Thanks but I don't wish to use that setup.

Software should handle the whole process WITHOUT A OS CD of any sort. Software
must create its own environment to restore images to a disk. I should put first
CD/DVD in it boots to its OWN ENVIROMENT and restores the image and prompts for
the next as needed.

Seems from the responses that none of the freeware is up to the task.

Roger Johansson

Software should handle the whole process WITHOUT A OS CD of any sort. Software
must create its own environment to restore images to a disk. I should put first
CD/DVD in it boots to its OWN ENVIROMENT and restores the image and prompts for
the next as needed.

How many "programs" do you know that work like that?
Seems from the responses that none of the freeware is up to the task.

Very few, if any, programmers bother to create an operating system for
a single program. And there is no difference between freeware and
payware in this respect.

If you think you have seen such apps, name them.
I think you have not realized that those programs also use some
operating system.

Self-booting CD's are usually using a linux system, and some put a DOS
environment on top of the linux loader, so the program itself can ise
DOS.

Such operating system can be very small, but they are there, behind the
program you think does it all by itself. Programmers don't waste their
time on creating the basic drivers and such when there are free
operating systems they can use and save a lot of unnecessary work.

REM

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
Thanks but I don't wish to use that setup.
Software should handle the whole process WITHOUT A OS CD of any sort. Software
must create its own environment to restore images to a disk. I should put first
CD/DVD in it boots to its OWN ENVIROMENT and restores the image and prompts for
the next as needed.
Seems from the responses that none of the freeware is up to the task.

My post wasn't freeware, but it does everything that you asked for via
the builtin XP system recovery. I don't see how it can get any
simplier than that. You will be prompted to insert CDs or DVDs, unless
you save the backup to another partition. In this case, after booting
into System Recovery mode and showing the location of the partition
your involvement ends.

I personally use UBCD4Win, but then I have nothing personal against
fine boot disks loaded with freeware tools :)

Good luck in your search.

Al Klein

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:23:36 -0500,
Programs like memtester boot up and run with out any OS of any sort

Neat trick. Nothing runs and loads an image.
Nothing says you have to boot to DOS, wimpdoze,
Linux, Unix, or anything else IF YOU KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM IT. Use the BIOS and
the routines it has to boot and run it all in machine code. Limits your "pretty
factor" as you don't have all the bloated API's to draw cute screens.

You're still defining an operating system, albeit a pretty slimmed
down one. (BTW, I do know how to program it, and have, more than
once.)

JeremyDestined

Roger said:
How many "programs" do you know that work like that?

Very few, if any, programmers bother to create an operating system for
a single program. And there is no difference between freeware and
payware in this respect.

If you think you have seen such apps, name them.
I think you have not realized that those programs also use some
operating system.

Self-booting CD's are usually using a linux system, and some put a DOS
environment on top of the linux loader, so the program itself can ise
DOS.

Such operating system can be very small, but they are there, behind
the program you think does it all by itself. Programmers don't waste
their time on creating the basic drivers and such when there are free
operating systems they can use and save a lot of unnecessary work.

I'd like to add some of the hard drive emergency rescue, boot up and
other type of freeware boot cdroms do use Caldera's Dr Dos or FreeDos..

Jeremy supercommodoreatmaildotcom