Drive c:\ incorrectly identified as Drive e:\

I think the topic header pretty much says it all. The SINGLE drive in the
machine running XP SP1 is not identified as c:\. This wouldn't be a problem,
except our network, when rebuilt, is our e: drive.

How did this happen? How do I fix this? How would I phrase this question
easily for a search?

David Candy

Windows was installed on a drive that had been an E drive previously?

Why is the network drive E, what moron decided that. Network drives are assigned from Z up (by admins) so you don't get this problem (there's a bit of a plague of people making stupid letters the network drive at the moment). Add a CD, DVD, second drive, USB drive, etc and it screws up.

PS I personally believe in Y up as Z sometimes has problems.

David Candy

I also, if I remember, put the CD a few letters down leaving room for other drives so they have sequential letters with out a DVD in the middle of the hard drive list.

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message Windows was installed on a drive that had been an E drive previously?

Why is the network drive E, what moron decided that. Network drives are assigned from Z up (by admins) so you don't get this problem (there's a bit of a plague of people making stupid letters the network drive at the moment). Add a CD, DVD, second drive, USB drive, etc and it screws up.

PS I personally believe in Y up as Z sometimes has problems.

No, it was a BRAND NEW drive. Never used before. I installed XP on it, and
when it finished, it read the c:\ as e:\.

What moron decided that is unknown -- some idjit from our old IT company.
When I get the network rebuilt, you can dang sure believe it will NOT be that
way . . . . . and I'll deal with training the employees to DO NEW THINGS
(such as leaving DOS behind, sigh).

Anyway, brand new drive, being read as e:\ rather than c:\ as a stand alone
drive in a non-networked environment.

David Candy

Is it E or just shown as E. If it is E you have to reinstall. You can attempt a change but it will never work quite right. There is a KB about it.

Kerry Brown

just said:
I think the topic header pretty much says it all. The SINGLE drive
in the machine running XP SP1 is not identified as c:\. This
wouldn't be a problem, except our network, when rebuilt, is our e:
drive.

How did this happen? How do I fix this? How would I phrase this
question easily for a search?

Reinstall Windows. Make sure that the drive you want Windows to install on
is the only drive hooked up other than CD/DVD drives and a floppy drive.
Make sure all USB devices except a keyboard or mouse are disconnected. Make
sure all external drives, firewire, flash drives, card readers, printers
with card readers, etc. are disconnected. Delete all partitions during the
install and only create one partition to install Windows on during the
install. Once Windows is installed you can re-connect any other drives, make
more partitions or whatever.

You will run into problems eventually anyway. Network drives should start at
Z: and work down to avoid conflicts like this. Many printers have multiple
card readers also USB thumb drives, digital cameras, etc. will all cause
problems with your setup.

Kerry