Dreaming of a True "Length" Function!

Gary Schuldt

[Sung to the tune of "White Christmas" . . . ]

I'm trying to format labels to stick onto garden plant tags. The tags are
metallic and of fixed size. The label will consist of a variable number of
lines depending on the taxum (genus/species/variety) and common name of the
plant.

Any of those fields could be missing, except genus, and the names can be any
length. One goal is to make the best use of physical space on the label.
Another is to stay with a uniform font; at the moment we're using Ariel.

Using Len(string) to figure out how long the line will be, say, in inches,
amounts to just a crude estimate of the true length, since, for example, and
"l" takes a lot less linear space than an "m" in a non-fixed font like
Ariel.

So: I figure it would be neat to have something like a

fcnPrintLen (String, FontName, FontSize)

that would return the length in inches (or mm or whatever) occupied by the
String when printed using FontName with FontSize.

The simplest usable form, I guess, would be fcnPrintLen(String, FontSize),
where Ariel Non-Bold Non-Italic was assumed. A more general form would be

fcnPrintLen (String, FontProperties)

where FontProperties would be the entire set of properties that describe a
font (name, size, bold, italic, and whatever else is needed).

Actually, going for the moon (!), it'd REALLY be cool to have a

fcnLargestFontSize (String, LineLength, FontProps),

which would return the largest font size I could use to fit String into a
line of LineLength when "printed" using FontProps (fontname, italic/no,
bold/no, etc).

Just dreaming here on a lazy Sunday afternoon . . . I don't want to have to
collect all the data such a function would have to know--the "width" of each
character in some standard units and all--if someone else has already done
it.

Thanks.

Gary

Stephen Lebans

Steve mentioned there is a function on my site that you can use to solve
your issue.
Just asking, but is this just in house code or something you are
selling? If possible, I'd love to have a copy for myself as I have a 2
acre Display Garden that I have to start labelling the plants this
spring.
:)
--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

Gary Schuldt

Stephen,

I just checked the newsgroup and saw both your and Steve's replies. It
would be great if you have some function that helps solve my problem.

re: plant labeling

"In-house" is right . . . our own house! Gardening is our hobby, and I'm
using the plant database project to learn Access, which will be useful in my
*real work*. May I contact you via your website? I promise not to ask any
(overt) programming questions! :)

Gary

Gary Schuldt said:
[...]

Thanks a bunch, Steve!

Gary
www.syncretics.com
Data Modeling Training

Steve Schapel said:
Gary,

See http://www.lebans.com/textwidth-height.htm

- Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP

[...]

Feel free to contact me directly if oyu need some help.
:)
--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

Gary Schuldt said:
[...]

A few days ago I did send a message to you using your website info but
haven't gotten a reply; just wondered if you got it. It concerns your
Display Gardens.

Gary

Stephen Lebans said:
[...]

Gary I have received over 150 SPAM Emails in the last few days! I may
have deleted your message inadvertently. If you still have it in your
SENT ITEMS box would you remind resending it.
THanks.
:)

--

HTH