Drag & Drop default for XP Pro

Patrick T

My installation of XP Pro has file drag & drop default action as Copy. How
can I change this to Move which is default for my XP Home installation on
another computer?

PatrickT

David Candy

Betcha neither of your computers work as you describe. Copy between drives and move within a drive are the rules.

Ken Blake, MVP

David said:
Betcha neither of your computers work as you describe. Copy between
drives and move within a drive are the rules.

Because I always have trouble remembering which gives Move and which gives
Copy, I always prefer to right-drag instead of left-dragging. That way, when
you release the item, you get prompted to choose Move or Copy (as well as
Create Shortcut).

Please reply to the newsgroup

David Candy

I'm a right clicker and right dragger too. They can remove the left mouse button as far as I'm concerned.

Patrick T

I'm simply fed up with having to use a dialog to move files between folders on
the same drive. I hate wasting the time and having to remember to right drag
or pressing the Shift key to force a Move. Why would anyone create such a
difference between Pro and Home to force people to be unproductive? It's
pretty darned lame and poor design to me.

So what I am hearing is that I'm stuck with lousy design and there is no
registry fix or patch to change it. I guess I must use my XP Home machine for
production and the XP Pro machine for a file server.

Thanks for your response.

PatrickT

Patrick said:
I'm simply fed up with having to use a dialog to move files between
folders on the same drive. I hate wasting the time and having to
remember to right drag or pressing the Shift key to force a Move.
Why would anyone create such a difference between Pro and Home to

The difference has nothing to do with Pro and Home. The two behave
identically in this regard. Read David's response below, or do it the way I
do.

There is one instance in which they might behave differently. If the
filesystem is NTFS and you only have Read permissions on the source
directory, you may wind up copying between folders on the same drive because
you can't delete from the source.

Mungo Bulge

Now David, there is no call to offend us idiots.
"A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below
three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or
guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification
system no longer in use and is now considered offensive."

Actually, IDIOT is an acronym for: Interactive Digital Input/ Output
Transmitter

Anyway Patrick, if I were you and I was 'simply fed up' or even
complexly fed up, I would scrub my hard drive and install Linux. That
would cure two problems. You would have a whole new set of problems,
and more importantly you would be complaining on an entirely different
news group. That would be nice. <plonk>

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I think you are an idiot.

Patrick T

I want to thank all those who have no concept of "help" to add totally
insignificant and useless comment that does not remotely answer the issue.
Without people like you the world would never improve.

I will try to make the complaint perfectly clear for anyone to follow.

Computer 1 has XP Home with NTFS and files are to be moved between folders on
the same drive. Left drag and drop moves those files.

Computer 2 has XP Pro with NTFS and files are to be moved between folders on
the same drive. Left drag and drop copies those files. I am the Administrator
on this machine.

I want both computers to use the same behavior on files with left drag and
drop without reinstalling Windows or changing operating systems that won't run
my existing applications.

Microsoft Knowledge Base does not have anything that covers this issue. I
thought that someone here might have an informed response to explain a fix or
exact reason why it can't be changed.

PatrickT